Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I'm a new cat owner. I've never owned a cat and always considered myself a dog person. I went just to meet the parents and see if I liked cats. The mom and dad were huge and the sweetest cats ever. They decided me. This is Magic. He is a 7 week old maine coon and almost 2lbs. He eats and drinks a lot! Plenty of pictures and I will probably have a bunch every week, lol. He is the sweetest. I woke up this morning and he was sleep on my head, lol.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cute little guy

7 weeks is far too young for a reputable breeder to let kittens go, depending on where you live it's against the code of ethics too and some places the law.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Magic looks like a nice comfy cat. I don't think his being a mere seven weeks old will do him any harm. Perhaps if you were looking for a show cat -- I don't know -- but as an ordinary moggie to love and be loved he should do fine. It's been a long time since I looked after a kitten, but I don't think any of them came much older than eight weeks and they were all fine.

There are people on this site who've adopted abandoned kits at a couple of days old, and I think they did fine. I believe love and attention is what young kittens need.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Adopting an abandoned kitten is a world away from buying from a 'reputable' breeder.

Your kitten is adorable and I'm s ure will bring you years of love and happiness :) Congrats and welcome.

The kitten SHOULD have been left with mom and siblings for another 4 weeks to gain the maturity and social skills that it should have. Without that y0u'll probably deal some issues like inappropriate play and not knowing how not to hurt when you play together. That will be up to you to teach now.

My concern would be with whatever ELSE this 'reputable' breeder failed to do like screen for health issues and get a proper contract to protect you, them, and the kitten.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. He really is very gentle in his play already. His claws are rarely out and he does scratch appropriately on his scratch post. My breeder also health tested her adult cats. I did have to sign a contract to take the kitten and I took it to the vet the same day.

She usually lets her kittens go at 8 weeks old and since it was just a few short days difference and her home is a 2 hour trip, I didn't see a problem with taking him early.

·
Registered
336 Posts
She usually lets her kittens go at 8 weeks old and since it was just a few short days difference and her home is a 2 hour trip, I didn't see a problem with taking him early.
A few days won't make a difference if she's intent on letting them go too soon, but 8 weeks is not the norm for reputable breeders.
The association I'm registered with won't allow me to place kittens before 12 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
He's adorable, as you can see I'm a Maine Coon fan!

I have to ask what "health tested" consists of? HCM is the big concern in Maine Coons...are her adult cats screened yearly for it? Has she done genetic testing for HCM? Is there history of HCM in her breeding lines? Even though you already have the kitten, I think you probably still want to research this as it might be a good idea to get health insurance on him if she isn't following protocol. Here's a great site on Maine Coons:

MCBFA Health Issues

A pet quality kitten from a reputable breeder goes for approx $750 these days. If you paid significantly less, then I'd be very suspicious about her practices.

Letting a kitten go at 8 weeks is in violation of CFA and TICA rules in the US, so I'm highly suspicious about this breeder. Is the kitten registered? If not...another indicator of unethical practices.

I'm sorry to be saying things that suck the joy out of getting your new kitten. But you need to be aware of what the potential issues are so you can spot them down the road. And so that you know what to look for if you decide on another purebred pet in the future...researching the breed and breeder up front is an extremely important part of choosing a purebred pet.

·
Registered
823 Posts
As a owner of two Ragdolls, I want to back up what doodlebug posted. HCM testing is critical. Ragdolls and Maine Coons both are very similar in their susceptibility to this horrible disease. Make sure that the breeder is DNA testing all of their cats.

Although, I suppose it's too late now to do much about it if they do not properly test. Just look into it in case you need to be prepared in the future.

Like others said, 8 weeks is too young. Picking up the kitten a couple of days or even a week early is no big deal. A month, however, is just too soon. Your kitten is presently very, very impressionable so be sure to keep that in mind when teaching it what is right and wrong, as well as how you go about doing so. His future personality/character depends on it.

Welcome to the forums. I hope you understand that people are only trying to help you and aren't talking down to you or your new kitten.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Agreed, don't want to discourage. You're more than welcome here and we're glad to have you. Your kitten is beautiful and as I said will bring you years of love and happiness. Lots of us look forward to watching your kitten grow through pictures and hearing funny stories.

Just wanted to correct any wrong info so that should you have trouble in future or want to look for another kitten in future you know what to look for. We hear some horror stories on bad breeders and sick kittens and high vet bills and behavior problems and no one should have to deal with garbage like that when they paid for a gorgeous kitten full of trust and hope for a perfect future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts