Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My name is Caroline and I have 2 rescued kitties and 1 Great Dane dog. Bella is 10 year old kitty with no major issues. Emma is a 3 year old cat that has had several issues and the reason why I went searching for a forum where I could possibly get some advice. Nala is their big sis and Great Dane - she is living with congestive heart failure and is an old girl at 11.5 years.

I look forward to reading the posts on this forum and learning about all of you. I have had 2 other cats that have passed over the Rainbow Bridge so I might even have some advice to give...

Thank you all in advance for any advice that I will receive from you...

Caroline - Emmasmama

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3 year old cat with multiple problems

Hello all! I am glad I found a forum I can learn from and get some much needed advice from a collection of people. I have a 3 year old foster failure kitty (Emma) who I fostered from the time she was 8 days old along with her mother and three siblings (a brother died at 3 weeks old). She has struggled in life since she opened her eyes at 10 days old. She apparently got feline herpes from her mother at birth and her right eye closed almost as soon as it opened. Her eye was very infected from the beginning and never fully developed. It is constantly giving her problems and is almost 1/2 the size of her health eye. The vet says that they will eventually have to take the eye out, but it hasn't come to that yet, thankfully. We also believe she is allergic to chicken as she had very bad diarrhea for 3 months when she was only about 12 weeks old. Anyway, that is not her main issue as I am able to control most of the problem with medicine drops and ointment and L-lysine. Her main problem started about a year ago. She was on Fancy Feast wet food most of her life because I had another cat that had diabetes and he could only have a high protein diet. Once my diabetic cat passed away, I tried to move Emma and Bella to a higher quality food (Instinct). That's when the problems started with Emma. She had very bad diarrhea and also developed a weird itching problem in her vulva. I switched her back immediately to the FF and the diarrhea resolved quickly, but the itching never went away. She only itches in the one area. I have tried switching her to raw food (primal, etc), but she won't touch the food. We tried steroids, but it caused her herpes to spiral out of control. We have given her antibiotics because sometimes her lady parts become infected, but the itching has never gone away. I know she is miserable as she scoots on the carpet - her anal glands have been check over and over and they are never a problem. Another issue is she can't reach herself to clean as she is too fat. I have reduced her food to 2-3oz cans of cat food a day, but she continues to gain weight. I've tried switching her food again, but she gets bad diarrhea from just 1/2 teaspoon mixed with the FF on day one...I have to clean her lady parts daily with feminine wipes. She itches so badly and my cleaning feels good to her (she licks what she can reach - her tummy - over and over during the cleaning session). I feel gross doing this, but I feel like I have to help her any way I can. Has anyone else ever seen this problem before? The vet is at a loss as to what it can be...I feel so bad for her and I think she is so miserable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts