Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks. I'm new to the cat forum. Tanyuh told me about this place so I thought I'd check it out. So if you don't like me...you can blame her. :D

I'm a sucker for animals....all kinds. I've had birds, cats, a dog, gerbils, a rabbit, a guinea pig, rats, a turtle, frogs, and when I was real young I had a bucket of worms I rescued from my father who likes to go fishing.

I had two cats growing up, Mittens (passed away 2002 at the age of 18 ) and TC (who passed away in 1999 at the age of 11). :cry:

On a warm, rainy May evening last year my boyfriend and I were out for a drive around 11pm when I thought I saw a little face on the side of the road. I stopped the car and looked at him and said "Was that a..." and he replied "....that was a kitten!". So we turned the car around and there sitting in the road, in a dirty rain puddle was a tiny 5 week old kitten. It walked right up to us so we picked it up and brought it home. The following day we went around the neighborhood where we found it to see if someone lost a cat but no one claimed it.

We desperately tried to find a home for the little kitten....oh heck, who am I trying to kid...we didn't try at all, we knew right away we wanted to keep her. And we named her Kouji.

She spent her first 2 weeks with us sleeping, often sleeping with my large 100+ lb black lab, like below.

Or on my boyfriend and I. She liked to sleep on my chest or shoulder (nestled right under my neck). Or on her new dady's lap, like below.

And here's what she looked like a few months ago.

She just turned a year old this month and I never regretted taking her in....even if she's the biggest spoiled brat in the world...AND SHE IS! But she's a lonely spoiled brat. :(

But soon she will no longer be an only child. My mother recently took in a pregnant stray cat who had four kittens. Our plan was to take in one cat. But now looks like we will be taking in two, since the one we chose is very close to one of it's siblings....they play together, eat together, sleep together, escape together, run around the house together, etc. We just couldn't bear to separate them.

Here are some pics of the new kittens.

More pics of the kittens can be found here: http://www.netlabs.net/hp/skatty/kittens.shtml

(Btw....we'll be taking the black one who we've name Koda and the orange one we've named Kenji.)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Djin
I enjoyed reading your story - so I hope you will become a regular ( a forum junkie like us that is :wink: ) and tell us more
It is so nice that you and Kouji found each other..and the new kittens are adorable

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
-smile-

Welcome, Djinn!

I hope you find as much useful information, and as many friendly folks, as I have here on the forum. And don't forget to share pictures of your new kittens growing up - we're mad for kitten shots!

~tanyuh

·
Registered
651 Posts
Welcome! I love the upside down pic of your kitty! :) Good luck with the new kittens, too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

Just an update. The two kittens Koda and Kenji came home with us this past weekend. My resident cat Kouji is less then thrilled. :( Not that I expected her to jump for joy at the sight of the new kittens. But she's usually a very cuddly and affectionate cat and now she's just ticked off and it breaks my heart. She'll still play we throw her sponge ball or wave the teaser around. But she doesn't like to be picked up and will sometimes run from us and dive under the couch. Which isn't normal for her. I keep reading that this is all normal and to give it time...but it's hard, ya know? These cats are like our children without the whole "Mommy buy me this, mommy buy me that!" bit.

Here's a recent pic of Kouji taken this weekend.

We have a bit of a dilemma.
We have to keep the kittens away from our resident cat because 1) they're too young to be tested for feline leukemia, although the mommy cat will be tested on Wednesday so we're waiting for those results first and 2) we're doing the whole 'slow introduction' thing. Now we originally had the kittens in the bedroom, but then that would mean having to sleep in the room with the kittens and shutting Kouji out. And that would upset her even more because she likes to sleep with us. So we moved them to the bathroom....which is kind of Kouji's favorite room in the house (she like to lay in the wet tub). Oy! This parenting stuff is hard!

Anyway....
Here are pics of Koda (the black one) and Kenji (the orange) during their short stay in the bedroom. They found my cart of primate stuffed animals very comfy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts