Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread to introduce myself, but I think I am, so I have.

My name is Marcia. My husband and I share our home with 2 cats. We named Woody after Woody Allen because he's neurotic. He's about 5 years old and is a big guy, 14-15 pounds, who loves people but doesn't much care for other animals. When we come home, Woody's at the door to greet us. When a stranger (to him) comes to our home, Woody immediately jumps in that person's lap. He's a pet therapy cat. I take him to group homes and nursing homes. We adopted Woody from the Humane Society 2 years ago. They got him from a rescue which shut down without any records passed on, so we don't know anything about his early years.

Sabra is the other cat we share our home with. She is a very very sweet and very, very passive girl about 12 years old. She was abandoned by the person who supposedly was her caretaker, and we took her in to share our home.

Woody would like to eat Sabra for lunch (or dinner), and we keep the two of them separate. Fortunately, our house is large enough to be able to do that. I would like to socialize Woody to Sabra, but I don't want to put her through that ordeal. She's so passive and afraid of Woody that she immediately pees if his scent is near.

I found catforum.com because Sabra has a big-time constipation issue, and the vet has prescribed lactulose and cisapride. She gets freaked out twice a day when when we squirt the lactulose into her mouth, and I've heard that miralax, a tasteless powder, is a good alternative for humans. When I did a search to see what it's like for cats earlier today, I found a detailed posting on catforum.com by Kattt with her experience of switching from lactulose to miralax, and those details sound exactly like our situation with Sabra. I first wanted to join catforum.com so I could thank Kattt profusely. Tomorrow, we'll be buying miralax for her. After reviewing catforum.com today, I decided I want to join for the ongoing connection to people who share their lives with cats.

I volunteer at our local Humane Society, both taking photos of animals and working on dog behavior. I also volunteer with a terrific organization named RedRover, formerly known as Emergency Animal Rescue Service (EARS) of United Animal Nations, which sets up temporary emergency animal shelters when called in during a disaster or a criminal seizure of animals. RedRover just managed a temporary shelter in Florida where 700 cats were seized from a "sanctuary" with many in serious medical condition. I almost went on that rescue, but the airfare was more than I could handle. (Travel is paid for by the volunteers; housing and most food is provided by RedRover.)

This is a long introduction, and I hope that's okay. I look forward to being part of catforum.com.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
Welcome, Marcia!

Looking forward to pictures of your Woody and Sabra, they both sound wonderful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts