Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1.5 year old female and are picking up a 1 year old male tonight.

We know to keep them separated for the first week or so, and after a few days to rub them with cloths and let them get used to each other's scents, and to supervise any interaction closely (once we feel they are ready to meet face to face).

We're excited and very curious as to how our resident cat will react! She is very sweet, it is almost hard to imagine her being upset by another cat (but I know in all likelihood she will be).

I'm interested in hearing other people's tales/experiences, and if you have any tips you would like to share about easing this transition, especially how you knew that your cats were ready for a face to face, and how long you waited before letting them interact/see each other. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
My best advice is not to rush it, even if you think it's going well and they have one good interaction. I know it's tempting to think, great, they're buddies!, but to take it slow and steady.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Marie! I think it is going to be hard not to rush b/c we are so anxious to see how they get along.

We have him isolated in our spare room. He is such a sweet cat, loves people. He is constantly rubbing against us and "head-butting" us. He already ate and used the litterbox. The cats seem pretty interested in each other. No aggressive behavior, hissing or posturing. Lots of paw pats under the door. We plan to not let them see each other for at least another week and half or so (he needs to be dewormed and I'd like to test him again for HIV and luekemia since he was outside), but so far so good!

·
Registered
350 Posts
You have more patience than I would have. When I brought marble into our house I didn't wait that long but I had to take it easy with Marble as she was young but had been outside for maybe most of her 1 yr life or at least most of her first summer. we had two older cats, male and female and Kermit, 10 yrs old then. All were fixed and strictly indoor cats. I think I surpirsed them all but we have a two level house and after a few days we just let them work it out. And they did. At least no fights tho Eliza hates anything, dog or cat, and always hisses and screams but that is her way. She came to us as a dying 4 wk old kitten so she really never learned social behavior. that was 18 yrs ago.

Both of your cats being young will help I think. And I think they will be buddies soon.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Be patient. It has been a year and a half and my Ruby still isn't happy with Pippy. At first, Pippy was so small and needy that Ruby not only was jealous but a bit scared of this strange creature who smelled like medicine, not cats. And Pippy talks all the time. Ruby established that she is "top cat" to Pippy and that has helped her. Pippy still challenges her sometimes. But they both sleep with me or take turns. I swear they talk to each about whose turn it is. Good luck, and as I said, be patient.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. It is so hard to be patient, and I know we have to accept that they might never be friends. If I wasn't worried that our new guy might have parasites (or worse) I'd be really tempted to let them out together though.

On the first night, they accidentally saw each other for a second. Franklin stopped in his tracks. Willow puffed a little and ran away from him down the hall a bit... but she didn't hide. Willow has still been doing her usual bedtime routine. She is by the door a fair amount, but isn't camped there all the time.

We put Franklin in a different room and let her check out his room. She was cautious and sniffed everything, but she didn't react negatively.

I think, so far, she was much more stressed by the Christmas tree than Franklin!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.