Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Moki since she was a kitten. She'll be 2 years old at the end of August.

Today I brought home a new kitten. His name is O.J and seems to be adjusting to his new home pretty well. Unfortunately Moki does approve.

When I brought him home I had him in a carrier and Moki had a chance to sniff him out before I could take him upstairs to his own room. Later I let Moki sniff a toy he had been playing with and she hissed at it.

She doesn't really want to fight the kitten, but she wants to avoid him altogether. I am hoping with time they'll get along, but are there any tips anyone can offer me?

I am planning to keep him in his own room for a day or two. (although he did get out and walk around the apartment) I've been letting Moki smell him and I've been giving her treats hoping she'll associate good things with the smell. Right now Moki won't even let me touch her because of the other kitten's smell.

What else can I do?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Actually, you should keep them separated for at least a week in not two. They need to get used to each other's scents.

There are lots of posts on this forum about introducing a new cat to the resident cat.

Good luck, I just went through the same process recently. It sounds like the reaction you got was fairly mild for being introduced so quickly, but I still recommend reading the other posts!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I did do a little reading around the website. I guess it's just a matter of having patience.

Do you think the kitten will be okay in a room by itself? I don't want him getting too scared at night or when I'm at work tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Yes, the kitten should be perfectly fine in the room alone. Do some basic kitty proofing (careful to hide wires, etc.) and make sure food, water and litterbox is all available.

We put our kitten in our bedroom for the first full week all the time. The 2nd week we let her out only while we were at home and kept her in the bedroom when we left the house or went to work.

By week 3 they were left alone, there was hissing and growling and still sometimes is, but they are fine together. They have wrestling matches at night and chase each other through the house when our older cat is in the mood, but she also when let it be known when she's tired of the "child play" as well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts