Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to introduce new kittens to a big dog, and when should we?

Abit of a rundown on the situation(sorry if you've read this in the intro section too). We have a big german shepard mixed dog and a 1 year old tabby cat. When we took Lily our tabby cat, we took another cat Tulip for our friend. Our friend left for a vacation earlier this month so my bf and I offered to watch her cat for a month. When we first took her to our place we noticed she was quite chubby, so we weren't entirely sure if she was well fed or pregnant. (our friend wasn't a 100% sure either.)
It turned out she was pregnant!! and had 4 adorable little kittens during the night of march 13th.
One of the babies opened it's eyes today, very exciting.
Our friend is leaving her cat and the babies here until they are old enough to be given to loving homes, and she also going to spay her cat once we give her back.

Anyways, Our dog Sadie, used to be really hyper (she was a rescue that was never taken out of her kennel) until we brought home Lily. She is now a very calm dog and loves Lily, she would even let Lily suckle on her and sleep with her.
Sadie is afriad of Tulip, a few days prior to her giving birth she actually scratched Sadie's ear and it bled. Now Sadie won't go near Tulip, which is good because she leaves the nest alone.
However, Tulip has made her nest in the corner of our livingroom and we did move the litterbox closer to her, but once the babies start to learn to walk since where the nest is It is more than likely one will bump into Sadie.
We were thinking of moving the nest into the bedroom and putting a babygate up (since the last tenant destroyed the bedroom door, there is now no door), but we are also planning to keep a kitten, so meeting Sadie is going to eventually happen. Since Tulip hates Sadie and will hiss if she is near, is there a good way of introducing the kittens to Sadie and also to our current cat?

thanks

· Registered
1,405 Posts
I would move the nest into the other room first. Tulip may not hate Sadie as much as see her as a threat to her babies and will continue to react that way. I would stack a few baby gates to confine mom with the babies for a bit, with food and litter put in for her. this way your cat and the dog can see and smell but not get too close. when the kittens start exploring keep the gates up for the same reason. there is a good link for introing cats and dogs, that I am sure someone else has handy. (its way to early for me to find it but I will look if its not posted by someone else) as too intro between the kitten and your existing cat, let them meet with the gates in place for a bit, usually older cats except young kittens fairly quickly. Please be sure your friend does not send the kittens to new homes before 12 weeks old, so they are properly socialized by mom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.