Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Looking for advice or reassurance... picture for attention and reference

I am living with my parents while I finish school. Our pet family, until recently, consisted of their two dogs and my two cats. Their older dog Brutus has passed away, and they are thinking of getting a new puppy.

I am concerned about introducing a new puppy to my cat Hugo, who has been aggressive toward new animals. An attempt to foster a cat had to be aborted because Hugo became aggressive toward Porter even when the new cat was in another room. Hugo has also growled at a dog that unexpectedly came up on our porch.

I am hoping that knowing dogs previously will help Hugo. Both dogs were living in the house when we moved in. He has (and had) a very respectful relationship with both dogs and shows very little interest in them. Both dogs also had no interest in him. I'm hoping we can maintain peace for the remaining few months of my degree, even if a new puppy comes.

Any advice?
PS: I will share my concerns with my parents, but it is their house, and I don't have complete control over whether they get a dog.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's normal for a cat to be aggressive upon introduction. If your parents get a new puppy, pet Hugo, then let the puppy sniff your hand, then rub your hand on the dog, and vis versa. After they have gotten used to each other's smell, you can let them meet each other.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts