Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my baby, Oliver. My husband and I got him right before we were married. We held him the day he was born, and brought him home at 4 weeks. That is very young, and we obviously preferred to wait, but unfortunately that was not an option for Oliver; he needed a home right away, and so we took him without a second thought. He was the runt of the litter, and is still quite small, but he learned that his small size makes him faster than most bigger cats. He is an indoor cat, but he is free to go outside as much as he pleases.

He has the most unique personality that my husband and I have ever seen in a cat, and between the two of us, we have had many cats when we were kids. Oliver can open drawers, cupboards, medicine cabinets, closets, and even some regular doors. We have not figured out how he manages to open regular doors, but he will sit with his entire arm under the door for a few minutes, and, 'click!' you hear the doorknob unlatch and the door swings open. He's been camping with us, canoeing with us, and though he only lets you pet and cuddle him when he chooses the time and setting, he follows us (at a small distance) everywhere. He just turned 4 on March 6th of this year.

Oliver at 5 or 6 weeks:

Oliver at 1 year old, with our then 2 week old son:

Oliver at 2 years old:

Oliver 3 years old:

Oliver 4 years old, with our now 3 year old son:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some extra pictures:

Oliver, 2 1/2 years old, my son 1 1/2 (they have very close birthdays, just a year apart):

Oliver, 3 years old, in what we call a 'sleep coma.' Every once in awhile he sleeps so deeply that you can even re-locate him and he won't budge, unless you shake a bag of food or catnip. We took advantage of one by putting toys on him carefully:

·
Registered
159 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Amazing pictures, but this one takes the cake! We do this to our Billy, too, and it never gets old, does it?

Oliver is a real chunk of handsome! Your kids will have such fantastic memories of him when they are adults. There's nothing like growing up with a great cat. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos! Such sweet captures.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! And no, it never gets old!

We include Oliver in everything - he gets a birthday celebration, a full stocking on Christmas, etc. His happiness was a big factor in choosing our house. He is not outwardly cuddly as a lot of cats, but he shows that he loves us in his own ways, and when he does feel like cuddling, he won't let you escape. <3 He checks on our son every time he cries, which is adorable.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oliver is a very handsome guy. I love the pictures of Oliver with your son. I've know people who have gotten rid of their cat because they are expecting a baby. Your pictures show how stupid that is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is stupid. It makes me so sad when I hear of people getting rid of their cats for reasons like that. Cats, and any animals for that matter, are not disposable toys. I actually got in an argument with someone over the local humane society for a similar reason. I love our local humane society - they are a no kill shelter, and they make you fill out an application to adopt a cat or kitten. If you are renting, they make you bring in written permission from your landlord that you can have a cat. I think it's a wonderful rule, because it keeps cats from being returned, or dumped off somewhere because the person finds they can't keep a cat afterall. This person I was in an argument with says she's one of the biggest animal lovers that she knows of, yet she got upset at the humane society for not letting her adopt without the landlord permission, and has been going around badmouthing them, and refuses to ever adopt an animal there. I am a 'choose-your-battles' type of person, but I feel so strongly about the subject that I couldn't help but say something to her about it. Animal shelters struggle enough - they don't need people badmouthing them for looking out for the well-being of their animals.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
You have a beautiful son! And Oliver is quite the handsome boy, too. I love the
pictures of Oliver with your son.....wish more people could see these pics so they
would realize that cats and children can live in peace and harmony.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oliver had a really rough time adjusting to Noah. But we took the time to work with him, and didn't for a second think about getting rid of him for having a hard time with the adjustment. I feel like it makes a lot of difference in how well cats adjust to things. They need to feel secure, and know that they aren't being replaced. The dog on the other hand, Oliver doesn't particularly like, but she is completely submissive to him, so he lets her hang around. :) It's hilarious, because she's only 8 months old, and ten times his size, but he still rules over her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts