Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My aunt got a puppy! I know this is a cat forum, but I just had to share! I'll likely see this dog once a week or more so it's a big deal to me. We haven't had a new dog in the immediate family in over ten years!

She's nine weeks old today and has no name yet. We went to see her when she was three weeks old but back then all she was doing was making little puppy noises and hardly walking. I went with my aunt on the hour and a half drive to pick her up today, she was remarkably calm on the drive back home, almost going to sleep in my arms more than once... and chewing on my hair. She even wagged her tail a few times.

Anyone want to play the guessing game of what kind of mix she is?

Hint: It's at least three dog breeds; father is a cross and mother is probably one too.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
A mixture of three breeds? Hmmm...I'll say she's a mixture of cute, sweet and adorable! Am I right?

Congratulations to your aunt! And you now have a lovely new cousin.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Border Collie, Spaniel, and Golden Retriever? I hope Mom was the retriever.....

Very cute, regardless. Must buy house, get dog.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Oh she's soooo cute!! I love dogs. Looks like some Golden Retriever, perhaps some cocker spaniel, and I'm not sure about the rest...something curly, lol!! She's adorable whatever she's mixed with, that's for sure!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cockapoo I think.
Nope, but if you were guessing what lives in my house, you'd be right...

That's my dog Tara, a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix. She's ten but even the vet thinks she's about two, haha.

You guys are all right on the Poodle, and there is a Spaniel but we aren't 100% sure about which one. There's no large dog in her though - we hope! She should end up weighing 15-20 pounds if the parents and her current weight are anything to go by.

On her vet records they call her an EskaCavaPoo. The dad is a Miniature Poodle/American Eskimo cross. The mother was called a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel yet she was only black and white - apparently they don't come in that color, so she's either a cross somewhere along the line or she might even be a Japanese Chin (also known as Japanese Spaniel) since they do come in black and white and they do look quite a bit like the mother.

Thanks for the comments guys! Obviously I think she's adorable too! She loves the AKC Pig I bought her that you can see in the pictures, she doesn't even seem to care for the toy that came from her old house. Her lack of attachment to her old house is kinda weird... but oh well, I'm sure she'll form an attachment to us!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think it's likely the records were right for her. While cavaliers are usually tri-color they also come in white and red, and you could likely find one that was solely black and white, or so lightly pointed you wouldn't even notice.

As for the other two Cocker Spaniel and Poodle are the most likely. Most spaniels are much larger, and cocker/poodle mixes can be different sizes based on the size of poodle used.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tara thanks you for your kind comments! She thinks she's adorable too. I remember in the picture of her I was saying "where's ball?" - she always gets excited over that.

I don't know about the dad of the puppy having Cocker Spaniel in him though... the father looked like a poodle in build but had a really weird coat, kind of frizzy like you might expect from being crossed with an American Eskimo. I suppose if we were really desperate on knowing her parentage we could do that doggie DNA test, haha. Whatever she is, she's cute! Here's an image of her that I took from my aunt's camera (not taken from my iPhone! *gasp*)...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts