Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am new to this board. On New Year's Day, my husband and I adopted 2 kittens, who are now 5 months old. Their names are Spencer and Lily, and they are brother and sister.

Spencer and Lily were left, along with their sister (who has also been adopted), in a tied up garbage bag in a dumpster. :cry: Their umbilical cords were still attached. Thankfully, someone with very good hearing walked by, heard the kittens crying, and rescued them. Spencer, Lily, and their sister were placed in a rescue group in our area, where they were lovingly fostered for the first 4 months of their lives, until we adopted them.

These two are an absolute joy to both of us. They are best friends, and are constantly playing together, grooming each other, and sometimes cuddling together when they sleep. (Whenever I catch that happening, I race for the camera!) We are really enjoying getting to know their little personalities. Neither of them is scared of people - they greet everyone at the door, including our friends they've never met.

Spencer is often purring and loves being pet...he also makes the cutest trilling noise as he runs around the house. Usually, I think he's talking to Lily, but sometimes he just does it for fun it seems. Although Spencer is very friendly, he is not a lap cat - he'll sleep right next to us, but never on our laps. Spencer also likes to go into the bathroom after someone has taken a shower, jump on the tub, and stare at the shower head for a good 10 minutes. I call this his "research."

Lily is very independent. She has gorgeous, soft fur, and is extremely playful and active. Lily loves to be pet (unless she's trying to play!), and starts up her motor the instant a human hand makes contact with her fur. Lily can be very, very cuddly and affectionate, sitting in my lap, head butting me, and mewing softly at me, but only when it's HER idea, :wink and only with my husband and I (mostly me), never with strangers. She likes to talk to us with teeny, cute little "meows." She also likes to scratch smooth, plastic or glass surfaces...the sliding glass door, the mirror, a picture in a frame, a plastic box. She just walks up to them, stands on her hind legs, and scratches and scratches with both paws like there's no tomorrow. It would be more annoying if it weren't so hilarious.

Both of the kittens are EXTREMELY curious - I just think it's hilarious how entranced they are by every new thing we do. They are both very sweet-natured and well behaved; neither of them has ever tried to bite us or purposefully scratched us, which I'm very happy about! I think their foster mom trained them well!

Anyway, here are some pictures!

A little blurry...I love Spencer's facial expression. His bottom lip is black, so it always looks like he is making an "o" with his mouth, which just adds to his constant curious, wide eyed look.

The lovely, regal Lily.

nap time

close-up of Spencer's little face

Close-up of Lily's face...kind of blurry, but she RARELY stops moving (unless she's sleeping), so it's hard to get a good picture! haha.

Another nap

I posted this picture in another thread, but it's the only decent picture I've managed to get of them together while they're awake! Again...they never stop moving! hahaha.

Hope you enjoy these pictures of my little ones! I've looked at pictures of many of your cats on here (I've been lurking for awhile...) and they are all BEAUTIFUL!! :) Cats are just the greatest...

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
What a wonderful way for you to start the New Year! That's so sad about the garbage bag. Thank goodness someone came along and heard them in time.

Muffs also likes to "research" the shower each morning. I have a shower stall, and the moment I open the door to come out, Muffs jumps in. She splashes in the bits of remaining water and then just sits there for 5 minutes or so, studying the tiles and the floor drain. I have yet to figure out what she finds so fascinating.

Great pictures too. I really like the snuggly nap pics...they're adorable together.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Welcome, and I am glad to hear that your cats' lives have improved so much after a rocky start!

Muffs also likes to "research" the shower each morning. I have a shower stall, and the moment I open the door to come out, Muffs jumps in. She splashes in the bits of remaining water and then just sits there for 5 minutes or so, studying the tiles and the floor drain. I have yet to figure out what she finds so fascinating.
Pumpkin plays in the shower too! Now she waits till I'm done to hop in the remaining water like you described, but when she was younger she would actually get in the shower with me! Water cats are so funny, but unfortunately Pumpkin is starting to develop a fascination with toilet water!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Welcome, and I am glad to hear that your cats' lives have improved so much after a rocky start!

Pumpkin plays in the shower too! Now she waits till I'm done to hop in the remaining water like you described, but when she was younger she would actually get in the shower with me! Water cats are so funny, but unfortunately Pumpkin is starting to develop a fascination with toilet water!
Meeka is the same! We had to start keeping the toilet lid closed to keep her out. Hehe.

They are both gorgeous kitties. Very sad start to life but it's so good they were rescued. I LOVE the lil black marking on Spencer's chin!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aw, thanks everyone! :)

That's so funny about all the shower obsessed cats!! Spencer doesn't seem to enjoy the water much - he jumps in and then jumps out again when he realizes his feet are wet - but he sure seems intrigued by the faucets! That's so funny that Muffs studies the shower drain and tiles! I guess she likes to "research" the drain, and Spencer likes to "research" the faucets...haha!

We've always kept the toilet lid clean since we got them...they've already expressed a lot of interest in the toilet, and I don't want to see where that leads!!

love.my.cats - We love that black chin marking as well! We call it his goatee. ;)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Aww, they are so adorable! They both have the cutest little tufts of hair on the tips of their ears. I love the snuggly nap time pictures. :love2

My Rochelle and Alice also have obsessions with water. Rochelle plays with toilet water...we have to keep it closed at all times or we have wet toilet-water kitty paws tracked around the apartment. XD Alice hops in the shower after me and tears around in the left over water...Rochelle usually follows her and digs in the drain, haha!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts