Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We met this little guy at a local shelter yesterday. They said we could bring him home today. He goes back next next Sunday to be neutered and he currently has an upper respiratory infection that we're treating. He seems a little scared but has warmed up to us after we played a bit with the toy in the pics below. He's really a sweet little fella.

So without further ado, the world premier of The Great Gazoo...

Playing with his new favorite toy...

Hard to tell, but you can kinda see that he has one orange eye and one blue eye. That just makes him unique.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He likes to play with the toy in the pics. I had him running and jumping around pretty good but I don't think he really trusts me yet. He seems to associate getting picked up with me giving him medicine, which unfortunately has been quite an experience. He's supposed to get drops in his eyes, which works about half the time. He's got some other medicine that I'm supposed to put a drop in each nostril twice a day, which is impossible. He squirms and fights so much that I don't know if I've even gotten a single drop where it's supposed to go. And then there's another one that I'm supposed to give him orally with a little syringe and ten minutes after I gave him that one this morning, he vomited it back up. Poor little guy probably thinks I'm trying to kill him.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a difference a good night's sleep can make. After I brought him his breakfast this morning, he came over to me and let me pet him and he started purring like crazy. It's the first time I've heard him purr since we brought him home on Sunday. Then he climbed up in my lap and dozed off. I guess he's decided that I'm ok despite the horrible medicines I keep forcing on him.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh what a beautiful boy! I had to give my little orange boy meds for his URI a few months back and you're right, it was a challenge. I wish you luck and hope he gets better soon so you can enjoy him even more.

·
Registered
712 Posts
He's gorgeous!

We went through a similar things with medicine when we brought Evie home- we thought she'd always associate us with medicines and being poked, but she did get over it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Aw them ears! I'v only seen one other orange cat with two different color eyes down at the shelter, defiantly not something you see everyday!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I'm starting to think he's not as old as the shelter folks said he was. Their paperwork says he was born on 2/3/12. That would make him 4 months and 9 days old. Isn't it a bit unusual for a cat of that age (especially a male) to weigh 2.9 pounds?

I've had this weird feeling since I saw the paperwork that he is more like 2 months old. I'm concerned because he has already had his first rabies shot, which I believe isn't supposed to be given to cats under 4 months.

I also think his blue eye is turning orange. It looks more greenish today than it did yesterday.

He also seems like he just recently learned to walk. He's somewhat awkward when he walks and kinda goes a little sideways sometimes.

I'm concerned that he was either very sick when he was younger or he's a lot younger than I was lead to believe. Are my concerns valid or is this all perfectly normal?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Depending on his background story, he could be that small at that age.

We just rescued a couple of kittens who were barely 11 ounces at 8 weeks! With 24/7 care, they're getting a bit over 2 pounds now at 10 weeks. But they still seem really small for their age (I always heard it was a pound per month, until 10 months old that should even off at about 8-10 pounds)

Being sick at such a young age could also explain the clumsiness, because sick kittens just aren't very active. He may truly be learning coordination late, because he didn't use it too much before.

But he looks like he should turn out just fine :) Especially with you as a parent now!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I'm trying to exercise him by having him chase a toy around. I've had him running & jumping and he seems to be doing fine.

Last night we let him out of the spare bedroom and let him roam the house. He was so good I let him stay out all night, which he spent in the bed curled up next to me. He really is a sweet little guy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took the little guy to the vet yesterday because I was running out of medicine and he was still sneezing and congested. Upon examination, she agreed with me that he is younger than I was lead to believe. She placed him at around 14 weeks. He's now just a tad over 3 pounds. He was running around and playing this morning like a kitten should, so maybe he's starting to kick this URI.

Took this pic of him yesterday. He looks like such a little tough guy here, almost like he's saying "This is MY spot. Don't even think of sitting here."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts