Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and would love to get some feedback on my introductions.

My first cat (Sampson) is almost a year old, neutered male. We're very bonded, he adapts to new situations very quickly and is pretty much glued to my side. Additionally, he's very vocal, though I don't mind, I'm worried my new landlord really will. He's never been around other cats to my knowledge.

My new cat ( it's been about a week since I brought him home) is named Wallace, he's a month younger, a few pounds smaller, and down a front leg (he's an amputee). He's also lived well in two multicat foster homes.

INTRO SO FAR
Both boys are very needy, cuddly, and go through their high energy spurts a few times a day, get lots of play during these times.
  • I had Wallace in his own room the first day, he adjusted very quickly but Sampson would whine and cry if he wasnt with me. So I swapped rooms and both cats did great and stopped caring about the new smells after the first swap or two.
  • I've been feeding them on other sides of a glass door with a curtain twice a day. But both were interested in the other and the door serperating them even outside of feed times.
  • swapping them in the morning and night (to avoid too much cat screaming).
  • Sampson had his heart set on ripping down the curtain to try and see Wallace, after a few days ( and a lot of duck tape and sneaked peeks at each other) I decided to take the futile curtain down, and allow visual access.
  • The boys have had access to each other three times ( second time wasnt great and some swatting and chasing happened but no hissing or anything insanely aggressive) third time they were a few feet apart eating treats for a minute.

My question is ( if you managed to bare with me though that long intro) Sampson is still very interested in Wallace, he wants to (I think) play under the door. And gets insanely jealous when I spend time with wallace, crying the whole time at the betrayal. So is this jealousy? And how do I help him feel more confident while still spending time with them both? He's only fixated on Wallace when they're both in play mode or if I spend time with my new cat.

Any and all suggestions are super appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,625 Posts
Here are some great tips for introductions. Maybe you can find a step of Jackson's you can start with to avoid going back to the beginning.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Great progress I would say, and they do seem interested in each other. During your scheduled play time, get a wand toy (with feathers on the end) and flip it back and forth between them, so they both get a chance to play with it. You could also use a long piece of cord or heavy string and drag it around in a snakey fashion on the floor and let them play with it, then when they seem to be tiring of play, give them some treats and put them back in their rooms. If things are going really well during the play sessions, try giving them their food in the same room only have them separated by about 12 ft. or thereabouts. If one cat's a piggy and faster eater and then goes after the other one's food as well, you may have to separate them for their meals. You've made great progress so far! Think they'll be good buddies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! When I put them together I can't tell if they're wrestling or fighting since they're both rambunctious boys. They will eat treats within inches of each other (they won't stay on seperated sides of the room) and Sampson (resident) even laid down for a bit. But the second I stop feeding they r off playing? With each other. No hissing or growling, just some meows but no actual sounds like they get hurt or anything like that.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Both your boys are in their "teens", so yes they're going to be rambunctious with lots of wrestling. The fact that there's no hissing or growling shows that they are respecting one another and not biting hard----they've become good play buddies. Took my Fitty until 2 yrs. to get out of his "terrible teens", and even now at 4 yrs. occasionaly he will bite down on my old Zuba's neck hard enough to break the skin. He stops if I catch him doing it and admonish him, whereas before he would ignore me----he got a lot of timeouts! But he gets lots of praise when he's being good and cuddly with Zuba. Zuba will sometimes retaliate with a bite of his own if Fitty really gets out of line. Most of the time they're good buddies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It sounds like you are well on your way to a harmonious two cat household. However, as a three cat mom, I can tell you play can get out of hand once in a while. I originally had three siblings and for nearly 10 years life was bliss. Since my cats had been together since birth, there was seldom a discouraging word! But, even the sibs would get into things they shouldn't and some may disagree but I employed a water bottle with a trigger sprayer. It only took a time or two getting squirted before just the site of the bottle was enough to put them back to good kitties! When one of my babies died on Halloween from liver cancer, I got the kitten and miricle of miracles, the two older cats love him. The kitten took more than two squirts to learn the house rules but now he's an angel! No climbing onto counters, or curtains, none of those pesky kitten issues really! And again, just showing any of them the bottle and they stop immediately! Say what you will about sqirting your cat or kitten, it works!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: they're starting to play nicer together. They're definitely rowdy boys and get out of hand (though I don't let it get tok intense) and can hang out for an hr at most right now. Sampson was never around other cats growing up and idk his past before I adopted him - at five months) he's been pretty aggressive due to his pent him energy wjth me in the past (all play aggression only). Playing with them both and then letting them play together a bit has been working but they still get a little too rough. On both sides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts