Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is only thought and I'm not sure if it will happen anytime soon.

But my fiance and I have thought about getting another cat. We feel bad about leaving our cat shadow home alone when we are at work because he meows very loudly when we both leave. And is very clingy when we come home. So we wondered if another cat would help him not feel so lonely.

Thing is, we don't want this to backfire and have him get very territorial and basically change from his sweet self. We also don't want any cat fights. The tag at the SPCA said he was good with other cats and dogs, but I'm still nervous.

Any ideas?

We are debating between a dog or another cat. Our apartment only allows two pets so we can't have three animals :( And I have a feeling that whichever decision I make, I will wish I made the other.

·
Registered
712 Posts
We had the same issue with our first cat, Evie- she showed similiar behaviour to your boy. So, after 4 weeks of a lonely kitty we brought home a pal for her- Mitzi. I wanted a female cat younger than Evie (she's two) and Mitzi is one. We kept Mitzi in her 'safe room' for one week, introducing them gradually and letting them have a good sniff. Luckily they got on really well and after a week of hisses and avoiding one another something must have clicked and they thought "oh, we could actually be friends"... And now, 4 weeks on, they are lovely little friends and Evie no longer acts how she used to.

So- if you have had advice that your boy will get on with another cat- go for it! Just make sure you do the introductions slowly and don't just 'plonk' the new cat down!

Good luck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had the same thing with Kent. He was the only cat for about 6 months, and he would cry so much when we had to leave. He started to get frantic when we go be getting stuff together to go. That is when we adopted Cloud and Mirage. And it was honestly the best thing in the world I could have done for Kent. His anxiety is now gone and he loves having companions. He gets along perfectly with other cats. I too think that if the SPCA said he got along good with other cats then go for another cat! If you are nervous about it then I would do a lot of research about the cat you are interested in, make sure that it loves feline companionship too.

I recommend cats in apartment settings personally. But that is a personal opinion and not a fact. They just seem to do better with the apartment lifestyle. Dogs love yards and places to roam. Not to mention I think you can better manage an introduction between cats in an apartment then a dog/cat. Just my opinion.

Adoption is just too exciting, it makes me giddy :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If the SPCA said he was good with other cats, then you should be fine getting another cat. If you do a proper introduction you should be fine. I agree with Nicole...I think cats are more suited to apartment life than dogs, not to say a dog won't fare well in an apartment, but a cat would likely be easier. Good luck with your search!

·
Banned
36 Posts
Hmm, how interesting to hear about a kitty that has seperation anxiety. My Silver only meows when I have to go outside but the kids are still inside and hubby is at work. He squeeks! Bit furrball has a high pitched girly meow, its adorable. I would not hestate to try another cat, if you adopt from the same place they might be able to find a good match for him and give good advice for introing them and maybe even offer to keep trying until a match is found for just the one fee? I don't know, but I think for your kitty it might be a good idea. Remember not all cats are fond of dogs so a dog might not be too good of an idea, I had a tort once that was born around dogs and other critters but hated dogs after she came to live with me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, it sounds like it'd be ok to get other cat. But because he's male, I have to warn you.
We already had two cats when I got my Ivan as a kitten. Jasper was sweet and affectionate before Ivan. Once the new male kitten arrived, he was never the same again. He was out most of the time and rarely let us stroke him. He would often fight with Ivan. Jasper was a big boy, and Ivan was only tiny at the time, but thankfully he was never badly injured.
Six months after we got Ivan, Jasper disappeared. That was five years ago, and I never saw him again. I ws heartbroken and felt so guilty that he might have run away because he thought we didn't love him anymore.
My old girl Marilyn had no problems with Ivan, apart from the fact that he tried to playfight with her, but she wasn't having any of it XD
So I strongly recommend getting a female cat as company.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Some cats are much happier being only cats, and they do sleep most of the day while you're gone. You should only get another cat (or dog) if YOU want one.

My house has been divided in two for almost a year now because of fighting. Gigi was advertised as getting along great with other cats, which she did, for about two weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts