Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At night, Nick (who will be two in April) likes to sit in my lap while I'm at the computer or sitting in bed reading. When I've had to move him off in the past, he's always been cool about it, but since I've really started working with Tyson (the new kitty), he's started biting me when I attempt to move him. As A) I do not appreciate being bitten, and B) Nick is a very large (and strong) cat, this poses some problems, lol.

Tyson (approx. 7-9 months old) is being kept in a separate room for the time being. They have not been allowed out together yet as Nick does not particularly care for other cats, and Tyson is still easily stressed and seriously underweight. (He was a feral.) I let them see each other for very short periods of time every day while Tyson is in the cat playpen. Tyson gets fed something he likes before and after the visits, and Nick gets to eat kitten food (a big treat for him) out of my hand the entire time that we are in the room with his "brother". (I also make a big fuss over him and tell him what a good boy he is.. but the kitten food is clearly the winner, lol.) I figured this would help them make a positive association with each other. Nick hasn't hissed, growled, or acted aggressively towards Tyson for almost a week, but he is still acting strangely towards me. (Overly clingy, bites when I move him off my lap, scratches at the door when I am in the room with Tyson, has started swatting breakable (and preferably, expensive) things off shelves to see if they bounce, etc.)

Is this normal for a cat adjusting to a new cat around the house? (And, if so, is there anything I can do to make the process go a little smoother?) I hand-raised Nick from birth, and he has always been kind of possessive about his "mom".. I worried that this might be a problem if I ever decided to bring another cat into the mix.

I will be moving out in the next few weeks, and I figure that Nick (having grown up sharing a house with several people, his mother, four siblings, and a dog) will probably eventually be happy to have another cat around the house while I'm at school and work, and Tyson (being the only cat I've ever met that happens to be more submissive than Nick) seems like a good match. I also absolutely adore Tyson and would like to see him stay.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Scratching at the door is normal at least for me that is since Sugar has to know what is going on inside the door. Yes my cats love to see if things bounce, and alot of times no they don't bounce! It sounds like you are doing a great job introducing the 2 cats so keep it up!

As for the biting make sure you put them down and don't pet them so they kind of get the idea if they do that, that they will get no attention from you. They want attention from you so you have to not give it to them if they are bad. With consistent punishing, they will get the idea! Or try water spraying and saying "NO". Good Luck! :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree that Nick should get the gist that if he goes for the bite that will result in "no attention." He'll learn over time that the approach of teeth just isn't working. I think the best way of doing it, as opposed to actually trying to move him, is just standing up from the computer and letting him roll off of your lap. That way, he doesn't take your initial gesture as overtly hostile, and you have the added bonus of getting your hands out of the game!
If he continues to bite every time you want to move him, you mightt want to consider changing your routine with him. He shouldn't think that it is his right to have you pinned down to these positions. You might just not let him in your lap while sitting at the computer or while reading in bed since he's associated these times with having a bit of power, perhaps. Instead, focus your energy with him into play therapy, or steam-releasing activities where his frustrations get released instead of coninuously pent-up to the point of needing to bite. I think that will bode well when further introducing him to Tyson, as well. Lastly, rechanneling his energies towards a positive, like play, makes sure that his bond with you is in tact, as opposed to pnishing techniques like a spray bottle, which in this case I think will just cause frustrations to fester.
Hope that helps :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, all. :)

Over the past week, Nick and Tyson seem to have accustomed themselves to sharing the place.. I had no idea that when it happened it would happen so quickly! :)

I can now sit down with Tyson outside of "his" room, (now that he's getting used to being handled, he's decided that he likes to sit in my lap with his arms wrapped around my neck and his head resting on my shoulder), and Nick will come up, sniff Tyson, ignore him, and flop down next to me as usual. Best friends they are not.. but I can deal with neutrality. :)

And after a few nights of being barred from the bedroom for biting, Nick seems to be keeping his teeth to himself again, which is always a positive. ;)

I don't want to jinx anything, but things are definitely looking up on the two-cat front. :) Woo!
*crosses fingers*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts