Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had our two Bengal kittens Phineas and Phaelan for three weeks now, and I believe we are making some progress with our almost 8 year old Siamese Mix, Phoebe Jean.

This was the first week we began leaving the boys out with Phoebe Jean while we are at work. A few days I actually had all three greet me as I came in, until Phoebe Jean yowled or hissed at one of the boys. I would put them in their room while I feed her so she has some privacy, and that works out well.

Phoebe will come and be in the room with them during the day, but won't necessarily seek them out. They want to play, and are curious about her, but if they get too close she'll smack them on the head and yowl and growl. I'm very glad we adopted two, since they do a great job of amusing themselves and not harrassing her as much.

We still put them in their room at night - bedtime is still just for Phoebe Jean and us. I believe we are making progress, but Phoebe still has yet to show any affection for them yet. She is still very affectionate towards my partner and me, eating well, and very happy when it's just us and her!

For those who have introduced new cats to existing residents, how does this sound? I've attached two pics, one of the boys from today, Phineas and Phaelan left to right, and the other with Phaelan peeking in while Phoebe Jean gets irritated with Phineas playing!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
In the second picture, Phineas looks like he's saying, "Oh holy crap!" :grin:

I ended up putting the twins to bed in their bedroom for three years. They were fine with it. I only stopped when I brought Gigi into the house.

I probably wouldn't have left all three together while I was at work for a while longer, but if there's no fighting, it sounds like it's going well. Cinderella was okay with the twins when they were small, but once they started growing, two of them at one time was a little much. And they did, and still do, do everything together. She, too, bopped them on the head when they got to be too much, but they learned very quickly what the warning signs were.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phaelan has turned out to be the bolder of the two! He will stalk Phoebe Jean more, and has pounced on her twice. She will have a day of peace this coming Wednesday when the boys go in to get neutered.

I was a bit uneasy about leaving them out all day together with both of us gone, but it's turned out to be okay. Nobody has attacked each other, and Phoebe Jean makes enough noise when she's not happy that they know to back off.

I do hope they begin to cohabitate better soon, the boys are growing FAST! They are 16 weeks old, probably just over 5lbs a piece. Adult male Bengals can grow upwards of 15lbs, and our boys both have HUGE paws and are very long framed. Phoebe Jean is just over 10lbs, so they will definitely be larger than her.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm glad you are getting on with your Bengals and that they don't bother Phoebe Jan too much. I love Bengals, they are wonderful cats. My boys are 13 and 15lbs and are quite big.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Haha, the second picture is really funny! The Bengal looks like it's totally oblivious to the other cat - its world totally focused on the string... I really love that picture, despite how your other kitty obvious wasn't pleased.

Sounds like you're making progress, at least!

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
It sounds like things are going very well, considering you've only had them for 3 weeks. Phoebe might be more affectionate with them in time, although she might not. It took about 3 months before my girls started to get along, and thereafter they started cuddling and grooming.

I'd keep a close eye on the three of them when the boys come back from the vet on Wednesday, since the boys might smell unfamiliar and/or carry the scent of the vet's office on them, which can often upset the cat who remained at home. I had to do a "mini re-introduction" of my two girls a few months back after Muffs had been to the vet. If the boys have a blanket or similar item that they often sleep on or that would have their scent on it, then I'd rub them down with it after they come back from the vet and before they re-encounter Phoebe, which might help a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts