Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Four weeks ago, I rescued 2 cats from the shelter that were from the same household. I need some reassurance that intros are going good. I believe they are.

The tribe consists of:
2 new cats
1 resident cat
3 dogs.

The new cats have had free room of the house for the last 2 week when we are home. Dogs have been caged and resident cat has been outside when we are not at home.

New cats have given 2 of the dogs, that just want to play, several good swats. Don't consider those dogs a problem no more. They will run from the new ones. Third dog, no problem at all, he is old and and just wants to be left alone. I have found one of the new cats sleeping beside him with her paw on top of him. I don't consider the dogs a problem any more.

For the last two weeks, when resident cat met new cats there has been vocalizations, mainly on the part on of resident cat, and resident backed down and walked away. No physical contact or fights.

Am I at the point where cats can be left alone? Has the resident cat accepted the new ones right to be here? Are introduction going good in your opinion?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd say as long as they aren't attacking each other then everything is fine!
Have they had prolonged contact with your resident cat? E.g like an hour at a time? If in that space of time they haven't started fighting I would say that it's safe to leave them alone.

I think the noises are just them all getting used to each others space.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Sounds as if things are going well - I would do ore supervised contact between the resident and the newbies before leaving the for very long though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts