Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend recently got an 8 month old cat and she is a little stuck in the introductions. He has been around for three weeks and she is at the step where she can take away the baby gate as long as there are plentiful treats and her resident cat is fine. It has been this way for awhile now and as soon as she stops the treats resident cat gets very angry and goes for the kitten. Where should she go from here? I couldn't find anything on Little Big Cat about it.

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
Has she tried playing with them both at the same time?

At 8 months old, my girls were fully grown, so it's a bit more difficult than with a small kitten. How old is the resident cat?

I think she should use the baby gate for a while longer, and maybe spend some play time with them together.

But what do I know?

Signed,

Ms. Split-House :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
I added the second cat the first of the year. Resident cat 4 years old new arround 9 months. It took about 3 1/2 months to complete introductions. I was having problems with new kitty showing aggresion towards the resident cat. New kitty just couldn't figure it out that hissing would bring a good thumping from the resident cat.
I got some Rescue Remedy Rescue Remedy Pet Bach Flower Essences (Pet Supplies - Supplements - Calming Agents) and things started moving along quickly. You can buy it on ebay cheaper than this link.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She already has my calming spray that she uses. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
I think the feliway outlet are way more effective than the spray. maybe give those a whirl?

My old stand by is Composure Liquid, for her adult cat Make sure the adult cat knows he/she is the first. Give her attention first, etc. maybe those things would help in this intro.

Spirit Essence has a good line of products. http://www.spiritessences.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts