Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My name is Casey and I just adopted a stray tortoiseshell cat named Missy. I grew up with cats but have not had a cat in many years and I have never taken in a stray before. I hope to gain some valuable advice from those here on how to make Missy as comfortable as possible in her new home! I work with pug (dog) rescue so I understand that rescued animals have been through trauma and need extra attention and patience. I want Missy to know that she is safe with me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow that was quick! Thanks for posting my message! I would love to hear about others' experiences with bringing in a stray cat. She has just been hiding in her bed for the past couple of weeks and she hisses at me if I go close. I set up a "safe room" for her with litter box, scratching post, bed, food and water. I have tried hand feeding her and letting her see that I am the "bringer of the food" and she still hisses at first then she will slowly take the food. She has let me pet her a few times but I just don't know if I should be trying to handle her more so she gets used to me and feels comfortable or if I should just leave her be and hope that she comes out and greets me when she is ready.

·
Super Moderator
26,523 Posts
Welcome, Casey!

We have many members who have taken in strays. You could post in the Behavior section, and also find lots of info there, too.

I'd love to see pictures of Missy when you are able to post them (or take them!). :grin:

·
Registered
58 Posts
From one newbie to another, Welcome! I am taking care of a feral cat and slowly working on socialization. It is a slow yet rewarding process.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome! I've never taken in a stray before, so I'm not the best person to advise you. I'm sure others here can help though. Love to see pictures when she'll let you take them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts