Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 14 week old applehead/traditional siamese babies. I've had Burmese and Siamese cats for over 40 years, and I love the breed!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lost my 18 year old baby at the end of July. I had previously lost my 16 year old about a year earlier. My 18 year old was truly my baby. My husband and I have been married for 21 years and do not have any kids. I was so heartbroken and lonely after losing him.

We couldn't stand how quiet the house was without a cat(s), so a few days later we got our latest pair.

It's my first female cat. I've always had males. She picked me, though. So now I have a male and a female. The plan which MUST work is to get them spayed/neutered at shortly after 4 months so that I don't get additional kittens on top of it. My vet is pushing for 5 - 6 months, but I don't want to take any chances.

Unfortunately, my babies were just diagnosed with Giardia (the cattery discovered it a few days before I did). So, they are confined to the laundry room for a minimum of 3 weeks and I'm cleaning and disinfecting like a fiend. I've had all my carpets professionally cleaned & treated with quaternary amonium and bleach has become my constant companion.

I'm very sad to have them confined. I'm worried about messing up the bonding process. I do go in and visit and play, but it's not the same. We only had them for 2 1/2 weeks before they had to go into this quarantine. Hopefully the first round of Metronizidale will kick it out of them...but I worry. They hate the meds. I have the liquid, and since they're so little, they only get it 1x a day for 14 days, but they look so hurt when we give it to them. It's like I'm breaking their little hearts by pilling them instead of just petting them. They turn away from me and face the wall and act all indignant. It's very sad :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Aww that's a hard thing to go through so early! I had to deal with trying to give Metronidazole, man Leelu was MAD! LOL She is a diva but she forgave me quick (after lots of apologizing and wand toy play!
I hope you kick the giardia and can't wait to see pictures soon!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LeeLu, how long did it take for your cat to forgive you?

I've had to do metronizidale before with my grown cats, but they already knew and loved me, so it was only temporary hatred. Pretty much within 15 minutes of pilling them, all would be forgiven until the next time.

With the new babies, I'm worried because they were just getting to know/love us. They run from us now sometimes when we come into their room and they slink down to get away from being petted. They do get over that after a few minutes of my trying really hard. I'm just worried that they'll grow to hate us.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well I'm kinda lucky as she's not one to hold grudges too long so usually a couple hrs. I've been doing a variety of "stuff" to her just to get her used to it since I got her. She gets bathed and blow dried every 2wks-mth, nails trimmed every 2 weeks eyes cleaned every couple days and combed at least once a week (she hates being brushed/combed).
Just keep spending time with them and always start and end your visits with good like pets or play or treats! It probably doesn't help that they don't feel well either, and confined to one room, I think things should get a lot better once they have more places to go and stimulation.
Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts