Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I decided to join this forum hoping to be able to share and gather information on our feline friends!
I have a soon-to-be 13 year old female cat. She is a tuxedo with an amazing personality and is the first cat I've ever owned. I know the years coming up will be a bit different as she is in "seniors" territory now, so I thought being able to see what everyone else is going through might help me (and her) from times to times. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Picasso! I've had two senior cats. They're so relaxed and sweet. It can be difficult dealing with medical issues that the elderly have; for my cats it was little tumors, urinary tract infections, and arthritis. But that never seems to hinder their mood. What's your cats name? How long have you had her?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I, too, am new to the forums. Welcome, Picasso! And your kitties. :)

I have an older cat and she's the first cat I ever owned! She came to us as a "feral" cat and I tamed her at the tender age of 4. Its nice to have elderly cats, most of them are so affectionate and laidback. My Oreo isn't very "affectionate" except to me; she is still as mouthy as she was when she was young, but she's got even worse with other cats! She may be declawed, but she can still throw her weight around with others.

She is Fourteen years old, and hasn't had many sick days. Currently she has Bronchitis, but is a real trooper. After an antibiotic shot, she's recovering quickly. I've heard that giving them supplements helps them in these delicate years, but I'm not really an expert or anything, so I'm always afraid I'll mess up and make her sick. But I think so long as you take good care of them, they can live for several years. :) Oreo is still going strong, and I hope your girl does, too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying and sorry for being so slow, I'm away from home right now...

My kitty's name is Picasso (hence my username!). I got her when she was 2 and a half. I wasn't supposed to get a cat, ever, as I am allergic, but grew up with feral cats around a neighboring farm and always loved them. So once I moved away to go to university, I decided to have a look into the SPCA, just to see how I could help out...

Well, I stepped in, asked about the cats, and a woman at the counter approached me and said she had just brought a cat in. She said she was a nurse at a senior's home that had adopted a cat for the residents, had her fixed and declawed, but the residents ended up treating her badly, so she took the cat in her own home. Her husband developed allergies, and she tried rehoming the cat but couldn't find anyone. So there she was, the shelter was full, she was afraid the cat would get euthanized, she told me it was an amazing, loving little one and that if I wanted to give her a chance, she'd be really happy.

Since she had not been registered to the shelter yet, I didn't have to pay a thing, I just borrowed a carrier and brought her home with me, thinking that, at worst case scenario, I could always bring her back to the shelter, knowing I had given her a chance.

That was 10 years ago! My allergies were really bad for a few months, but gradually faded until I got used to her (Still allergic to other cats, though. And if she licks me, I do still get hives, but at least I can breathe).

Now that she's older, I spoil her a bit more. I used to not let her in my bedroom (to be able to keep the allergies low at night), but I now let her sleep with me and my husband. She's a tad bit annoying, as she would love to sleep in my face, but I want to have her around me as much as possible. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts