Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I recently adopted two kittens and want to start feeding them RAW, was wondering the amount of organ meats and meat in general do you feed a 16 week old kittens? Currently they are on wet and kibble. Please advise.

Thank you

Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Richard! Playing devil's advocate here. Have you thoroughly researched raw food for cats? I checked it out once, and decided not to do it due to the risks involved. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would recommend going online and doing hefty research into the ins and outs of raw feeding, and cat nutrition. It's complicated at first, until you really get the hang of it, and you have to be very careful to be sure you are feeding the right proportions so the cat gets full nutrition.

There are websites devoted to it, and probably a forum or facebook page or more than one dedicated to raw feeding cats. Get good advice from experts who have been raw feeding their cats for years, and figure out if it's really something you want to do or not.

My understanding is that it takes a while to learn and get it right but once you have it down pat it only means making cat food a couple times a month and freezing it in portions. Don't start feeding them raw until you know what you are doing, though. And be prepared that while many animals thrive on it, some animals don't do well on raw food.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What risks are you referring to? Just curious.

Hey Mosi. As you said, figuring out their nutritional needs can be difficult, and if you don't get it just right, especially in the developing kitten years, it can lead to medical problems now and in the future. But my biggest concern about raw food for pets is the same for people. Uncooked or under-cooked food can cause Salmonella and EColi, which in some cases can be deadly. I've had food-poisoning, and spending 24 hours in the bathroom trying to decide which end should go first is not fun! For me and the cats, it wasn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
98 Posts
Ah, yes, my pal Sal... Sal Monella, lol. Met him once and it was NOT a pleasant experience... wound up lying on the carpet in a friend's flat, puking into a large stainless steel mixing bowl for a number of hours. Weak and prone for 24 hours, at least. Not recommended for anybody's bucket list... although a bucket comes in handy. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Richard! Playing devil's advocate here. Have you thoroughly researched raw food for cats? I checked it out once, and decided not to do it due to the risks involved. What are your thoughts?
Hello and yes, I have fed raw to my dogs for over 20 years, so very familiar with it, but our last dog died two years ago , so we got two kittens and want to get them on the raw diet, so was needing some input as to the amounts a kitten would eat. Thus far we have a good start on the diet as we followed Dr. Marty's Wellness diet, to me, it made good sense. I am very cautious when it comes to food prep and clean up.

Any advice or input would be great and thank you very much for your reply, appreciated......:)

Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for answering. Very glad that you're experienced with the diet and are taking full precautions. No advice from me, but maybe others can help. And so sorry to hear your dog has passed. Enjoy your new kittiecats!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ah, yes, my pal Sal... Sal Monella, lol. Met him once and it was NOT a pleasant experience... wound up lying on the carpet in a friend's flat, puking into a large stainless steel mixing bowl for a number of hours. Weak and prone for 24 hours, at least. Not recommended for anybody's bucket list... although a bucket comes in handy. ;)
Yup. Definitely want to avoid another Poopapalooza.

·
Super Moderator
26,726 Posts
I know people who feed their cats raw food with excellent results. I think one of the reasons it's safer than people believe is because food moves so quickly through a cat's system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for answering. Very glad that you're experienced with the diet and are taking full precautions. No advice from me, but maybe others can help. And so sorry to hear your dog has passed. Enjoy your new kittiecats!
Thank you and will keep on investigating other sites.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know people who feed their cats raw food with excellent results. I think one of the reasons it's safer than people believe is because food moves so quickly through a cat's system.
I think another reason it is not as dangerous in terms of bacteria as people think is that for some reason people think it's different from human food when it really is not. When you handle the food you are every bit as careful as you would be handling food for human consumption. You buy the meat in the same place you buy your own meat, keep things clean, freeze it as soon as possible......all the same things you already do. There's no reason that preparing raw meat for the cat is any more dangerous than preparing the meat you eat yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct and in the 20 some years we did it for our dogs, there was not one case of the ol' Sal Monella in the house. So that said, does anyone feed raw currently and where did one get the info on it. Please advise. Thank you

Richard

·
Registered
22 Posts
On another post on this forum I found this link to a recipe for cat raw food: Making Cat Food
I'm not using it, I just read it and I'm not that happy. Because the logic is to grind meat with bone (for calcium) and then adding fish oil, vitamin pills and other supplements on the food. Ends up not being that natural.
But it is a Dr. and it is an opinion. I would look for other ideas.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
was wondering the amount of organ meats and meat in general do you feed a 16 week old kittens?
Hello Richard,

I fed raw to my dogs and cats for years. There are many different raw diets folks use. All you can do is research them and choose what makes the most sense to you. For me, what made sense in feeding my obligate carnivores (cats) was Raw Prey Model - just muscle meats, organs and raw bones in specific proportions (no veggies, fruits or supplements other than a sprinkle of taurine).

I don't remember the specifics of raising my two young kittens on raw, but I do remember feeding them 4 times a day for the first few months, then 3 times a day for the next few months, then ultimately twice daily as adults. And I remember them eating ALOT while they were actively growing. Oh, and raw meat brings out the TIGERS in even the youngest kittens. I mean, do NOT venture too close while they're eating their meaty meats. You could lose fingers!

Read through the posts in this forum. They contain a lot of great information on raw feeding felines.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts