Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you find that introductions go faster and better after the first one?

My dream is to have an Ocicat. I completed the agreement I had with my wife before I could get another cat. Before I could get an Oci, someone dumped 3 kittys off in Dec. I took one, Onyx, into the house. I was able to grab the second one and took it to the no-kill shelter. She was adopted the second day out of quantine. The 3rd is hopelessly feral.

We have made great strides in the past week with introducing Onyx. Finally can see some light at the end of the tunnel. Don't know if I am willing to go through it again. It has been about a 3 mounth affair now.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I went through a difficult introduction with my two (3 months) and I doubt I'll try again! That said, I have experienced two "sort-of" introductions since that time. I adopted Abby at the end of August 2009 and, by December, she and Muffs finally got along. At that point, Muffs was 9 mths and Abby was 6 mths. A few weeks later, my daughter came to stay with me for about 3 mths and brought her kitten, Neko (9 mths). We weren't planning to introduce the cats, since my daughter was only staying for a few months, but Neko got out accidentally. The cats' reaction was not too bad...a bit of hissing from Abby, but none from Muffs or Neko. While my daughter was living here, we were able to let the cats out together supervised for most of the day (when we were home) without too much trouble.

Fast forward to this past Christmas, when all of the cats were a year older. My daughter came to stay with me again. We had hoped we could introduce the cats again, since they hadn't been too bad the prior year and we hoped they might remember each other. No such luck. Long story short, we decided an introduction was fruitless.

I guess the moral of the story (based on my very limited experience with a second introduction) is that the younger the cats are, the more luck you're likely to have...and, if you were to adopt a third cat, you'd likely have an easier time introducing a kitten rather than an older cat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts