Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Sorry for my absence and not updating you on the kitten front. Ive had horrible bronchitis and Ive not felt much desire to get out of bed!

I did go visit the blue kitten last tuesday and he was gorgeous. I only took the deposit to put down on him, but he was already 14 weeks rather than the 10 I had though, so the breeder said I could take him that day and pay after Christmas, which was nice :) He is a lovely kitten, very laidback and loves cuddling. he actually likes to get in the bed with me and snuggle.

I have a couple of questions about introductions.I think the introductions went quite fast. At first they were in seperate rooms with a doorstop. there was a bit of hissing from Gloworm, and a bit of growling from Mushroom. I have progressed to now having them free to be with each other whenever.

They sleep next to each other, and play a lot. I havent heard any hissing for days, and only growling when there is food involved. They havent seemed to realise that theyre both going to get fed no matter what, so there can be some growling then, but most of the time they play and snuggle up together nicely and also groom each other (though reasonably roughly).

One thing I am a bit unsure of is the level of playfighting. What is normal and what isnt? I understand that its fairly normal for them to bite backs of necks etc to establish dominance, but this seems to be continuing. There is often little squeaks when they are playfighting and I have found fur from each between the paws of the other. The fighting almost always ends up with the grooming of Mushroom, the baby, by Gloworm.

I am hoping this is just normal. They clearly do not hate each other as 90% of the time they are sleeping cuddled up or grooming each other/playing normally. I just hope that the playfighting is on a decent level. There never appears to be one 'aggressor' and one 'defender', they both give as good as they get and both wind up the other one.

Martha xx

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Congratulations! Love the name!

Sounds very normal. A certain level of "noise" while wrestling is normal, and the give-and-take you mention is good, so it's not all one-sided. Intros do seem to go quickly with kittens, in most cases.

But, where are pictures?????

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Awwww, buddies!!!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Awwww so cute! :D

And yeah, sounds like they're getting along just fine, as grooming/snuggling are a good sign.

My kittens play pretty rough, and Athena growls all the time while they play. They roll all over each other, biting at each other's necks.

I think frequent hissing or actual visible injuries would be the things to worry about. Wrestling/beating eachother up playfully, even with growling, should be just fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My kittens play pretty rough, and Athena growls all the time while they play. They roll all over each other, biting at each other's necks.

I think frequent hissing or actual visible injuries would be the things to worry about. Wrestling/beating eachother up playfully, even with growling, should be just fine.
Yeah theres definitly a lot of attempted biting going on! And kicking in the face...

It does tend to be Mushrooms fur which comes out a lot more, though his fur tends to come out a lot easier as it is. Its a lot coarser than Gloworms which i assumed was due to colour and I can see his nipples on his belly a lot easier (again I assumed due to colour)

Anyway I am glad its normal for them to be fighting! I knew I was more bothered about it than they were but I am a worrier!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah, I totally understand, I was the same way with Apollo and Athena at first (more fur flew their first week or two together, too). I kept worrying they were playing too rough, but as time went by, and they continued to play rough and no one seemed to get hurt, I was gradually reassured that they were just playing, not trying to hurt each other. They bite at each other's neck scruffs and one will pin the other while the other kicks and they'll bat at each other's faces and soforth.

Now, even with cats that get along stuff can happen. Athena scratched Apollo's forehead once. May have been an accident or she may have just been fed up with him and was trying to get him to back off. She also on a very rare occasion hisses at him if he is not leaving her alone and she's not in the mood to play (he can be very persistent, and just follows her around trying to pounce her). Often she loves to play with him and will instigate the play battle, but I guess like people certain cats are just sometimes "not in the mood" and want to be left alone. So if you hear a hiss on a rare occasion it's probably fine.

I've been told that you can really tell when cats are actually trying to hurt each other. Their play can be rough but actual fights are far more violent. More like constant/frequent hissing and much angrier growling/"rrrrreeeowr!"ing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I totally understand, I was the same way with Apollo and Athena at first (more fur flew their first week or two together, too). I kept worrying they were playing too rough, but as time went by, and they continued to play rough and no one seemed to get hurt, I was gradually reassured that they were just playing, not trying to hurt each other.

Now, even with cats that get along stuff can happen. Athena scratched Apollo's forehead once. May have been an accident or she may have just been fed up with him and was trying to get him to back off. She also on a very rare occasion hisses at him if he is not leaving her alone and she's not in the mood to play (he can be very persistent, and just follows her around trying to pounce her). So if you hear a hiss on a rare occasion it's probably fine.

I've been told that you can really tell when cats are actually trying to hurt each other. Their play can be rough but actual fights are far more violent. More like constant/frequent hissing and much angrier growling/"rrrrreeeowr!"ing.
Yeah I definitely keep my ears open for the 'rrrreow!' We used to have strays outside my old apartment so I remember that sound! none of that yet thank god! I think theyre definitely just trying to work out whose boss, I cant tell myself yet, I change my mind every day! I think when Mush gets a bit bigger he will be the boss :D lol

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah I definitely keep my ears open for the 'rrrreow!' We used to have strays outside my old apartment so I remember that sound! none of that yet thank god! I think theyre definitely just trying to work out whose boss, I cant tell myself yet, I change my mind every day! I think when Mush gets a bit bigger he will be the boss :D lol
Hehe yeah I'm pretty sure Apollo is the boss here, since he's so big and demanding, but Athena's pretty good about getting the upper hand sometimes. You may find yours engage in a battle of speed vs. size. :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Congratulations! They sound like they're doing very well. Introductions between two kittens are typically the easiest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts