Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm a hopeful future cat-owner. I've been doing my research lately and have been visiting shelters and foster homes in hopes of finding the perfect cat for me.
I did meet a cat I really liked today, but I do have some concerns and I'm hoping maybe some people can shed some light on this and share their experiences!
The cat I'm interested is a 2 year old male cat who used to be a stray and was recently taken in by a volunteer and neutered only 2 months ago. He seemed very calm, affectionate, and sweet and didn't seem to bothered by other cats when I saw him.
I am concerned about spraying, however, since I've read that male cats are more likely to spray than females, and especially so if they are intact or were not neutered at a young age. I asked the foster about this, and she told me that the cat in question did spray before he was neutered, but he hasn't sprayed since he was neutered (about 2 months ago). She also said that since cats spray to mark territory, and this cat lives with several other cats (probably 6 or 7) and doesn't spray, that it isn't likely he'll spray again.
I just wanted to get a second opinion before moving forward. Do cats who spray, are neutered, and then stop spraying, ever resume that behavior? Or do they just stop spraying altogether? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love to adopt but I really don't want to have to deal with spraying if it can be avoided. Would it be better to just keep searching for another cat (maybe a female spayed at an early age)?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert, but I believe the person at the shelter is correct. Spraying is typically done as a message to other cats. If he isn't doing it now you should be safe.

The exception would be if you adopt him as an only cat and say 2 years from now you bring in another cat and they have trouble with introductions, this may trigger some territorial behavior. As long as you plan future introductions carefully, I'd think that you're in the clear.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
He's unlikely to. Of course, be sure to feed a high quality CANNED food (not dry) so he is unlikely to develop urinary tract problems which would result in indiscrimate urination.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, you two! I actually went ahead and adopted him 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier :) He hasn't sprayed or anything either! I'll post about him as soon as I can get some pictures on my computer :3

·
Registered
6 Posts
I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression that when they neuter a cat, they remove the spray sac with it. Is this not the case?

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
My sweet boy was neutered as a kitten. He has only sprayed. Few times in 10 years. He was extremely stressed, or hated being at my sisters house, or was on over wrought with too many fosters I had at the time. 16. He was in burn out.

Weve moved several times. Introduced new fosters frequently, lost his house mate Tess. Endured me being out of town and different people taking care of him and didnt spray.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts