Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that some cat food makers (HealthWise Cat 'N Kitten by Natura Pet) add small amount of "corn gluten" as a urine acidifier. Is it really so? Does it work good or is it just a trick?

If it helps, here are the ingredients of HealthWise "Cat 'N Kitten Dry Food" ( http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d= ... 7544%27%5D ):
Chicken Meal
Ground Brown Rice
Chicken
Chicken Fat
Herring Meal
Flaxseed Meal
Oatmeal/Rolled Oats
Rice
Corn Gluten Meal
Herring Oil
Natural Chicken Flavor
Avocado Oil
Egg
Dried Kelp
Vitamins/Minerals

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've read about the corn gluten being used as an acidifier before, but I can't find the link anymore. I will comment on Natura as a company though and say that I really trust them and think they make great foods. You could probably e-mail them about the corn gluten meal and see what they say. I've fed Healthwise to my dogs before with great results. :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
I haven't stumbled across that explination in my studies, but that does not mean that it is incorrect.
The only problem I have when I see any corn substance in a food is when it's with in the top 5 ingredients.

Healthwise, is a good food, and a good company.

Perhaps you should email the company and ask their explination for using it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your responses.

I have already e-mailed NaturaPet company. If anyone finds it helpful, I can post their responce (when I get it) here in this topic.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Corn gluten meal is a cheap substitute for animal protein. Plant materials tend to be alkalinizing. I do not recommend any food that contains corn gluten meal.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts