Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been three months and the one issue with Peanut that is constant right now is his inability to leave Chinchilla alone. He HAS to jump on her, bite her bottom and back legs and bop her on the head every chance he gets. She gives him EVERY warning in the book and it's like he ignores it or just doesn't comprehend that growling means "GO AWAY". I know we can't really do anything to make him stop, besides redirecting his attention, which only works a small percentage of the time, but it's a little frustrating to me. He acts like one of them foolish heroes in fantasy movies, the one that thinks he'll slay the dragon, but only ends up being burnt to a crisp?

Normal kitten behavior or a Napoleon Complex?

· Premium Member
722 Posts
How old are they? It sounds like normal kitten behavior. If Chinchilla is older she will put up with as much as she wants to. When she has had enough she will make it very clear to him. If she is just growling and hissing at him she's probably not reached her limit. Do things every really escalate?

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old are they? It sounds like normal kitten behavior. If Chinchilla is older she will put up with as much as she wants to. When she has had enough she will make it very clear to him. If she is just growling and hissing at him she's probably not reached her limit. Do things every really escalate?
Peanut is now 5 months and Chinchilla is over 10 years old. Chinchilla will bop him and throw him to the floor and she did give him a little nick on his nose a few weeks back, which was very minor. I'm just afraid that he'll push her way too far and either one or both of them might end up with a battle scar or two.

· Registered
5,669 Posts
Normally, I would say, don't intervene if Peanut is bugging Chinchilla. Peanut is just coming into his bratty teens, and of course now he will be even more rambunctious and buggy and at the same time gaining size and strength. He'll outgrow this stage near a year likely. Hopefully between 1-2 yrs. he will have calmed down and learned to "respect" Chinchilla and not bug her when she doesn't want to be bothered. The problem is you have a senior cat who really doesn't want to participate in "his games". The downside of this is that he may escalate his attacks to the point that she becomes very distressed and perhaps even afraid of him and no long will "throw him to the floor". This would not be good for her, as it may set her up for bad health. Some cats can maintain vigorous health and activity into their early teens, but in my experience if very stressed do not. If you think Chinchilla is able to deal with Peanut fine, but if she starts showing that she's stressed and afraid by not wanting to be where he is, not eating well, etc. then you'll have to intervene in his attacks or keep them separate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.