Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a table in the living room in front of the window that the cats sit on to look out. I leave the blinds open and have moved everything off this table, it's just for them. They have a scratching post that sits in the living room, one cat uses it, the other prefers the computer chair. So today I happened to see a cat mat which is like a flat cat bed with a rectangular cardboard scratcher on one end. And it came with catnip. I bought it and put it on their table. I'm hoping Miley will learn to use that instead of the chair. I caught her scratching the chair and gently moved her to the catnip laced cardboard scratcher. She liked it, and rolled around on it but I don't think she knows it's for scratching. I tried taking her paws and showing her how to scratch on it. She just resumed rolling around. lol. Now she is scratching on the cardboard package the mat came in. Oh well, it's a start....

Back to the point.... Will having this on a table teach her to scratch on tables? I am going to get a cat tree but it will have to wait until next month, I had to get new tires and Ollie is getting neutered next week.....

· Registered
1,687 Posts
nah, most cats adapt to their scratching posts & mats. i said MOST CATS lol. my cats will scratch any glossy paper, like a magazine cover or ad out of the newspaper. and leather. wallets, day timers, purses, jackets, i have to hide all that stuff if i don't want it ruined.

but mostly they stick to their turboscratcher and the sisal post i have.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
i'm not sure about the table thing, but i have read that to help encourage your kitty to scratch the pad, YOU need to scratch it yourself so she can see what fun it is. i guess they might follow your lead and like the sound or something. but you putting her paws on it and making her scratch it just makes them NOT want to do it because they're being forced to do it, i guess.

maybe sprinkle a little more catnip on it to encourage her. if she still doesn't go for it, maybe she's not susceptible to catnip? our kitty likes catnip luckily and she immediately started scratching the pad trying to get to it. now she just loves sitting on the thing and loves to scratch it when she's excited.

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I just did it gently, I'm sure I didn't traumatize her by trying to show her how to scratch. I'll try scratching it myself and see if that helps. He took a nap on the cardboard wrapper. lol. I think she liked the catnip, she just wasn't aware she was supposed to scratch on it. We'll work on it. As for the computer chair, I'm not all that concerned about the chair, other than the fact that I'd like to teach them not to scratch our furniture in general. It's a hand me down chair we picked up from my husband's work's remodel, to replace a falling apart kitchen chair we were using. My husband doesn't like them scratching it. If you ask me it could become cat furniture for all I care. LOL.

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ollie was scratching on the cardboard scratcher last night. And Miley was using the scratching post which I've never seen her do. He's kind of dominant, maybe he doesn't let her use it and now he's claimed the cardboard thing. He is kind of a bully sometimes, hogs the food so I have to put her in a different room to make sure she gets enough. In the first few days I could tell he was getting fatter and she was staying thin. She eats slower. And if he nudges her aside she will let him have it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.