Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two cats, Fern and Fergie, and I've noticed that whenever I go to Petsmart for food I can't resist checking out the kitties they have at the store. I nearly brought one home with me yesterday - it seems like you hardly see an adult cat at a pet store, so when I saw a two year old and she pawed at the glass wanting to get to me my heart melted. I've noticed a lot of people here have a lot of cats, and I wondered if you guys started off as one or two cat houses and then couldn't resist bringing home more and more. My shelter mom had 35 cats at her house, so I'm sure my girls would be fine with other cats around, but that doesn't mean it's the best idea for me to have more than my current two. Does this desire to adopt everyone go away after time, or am I destined to adopt half a dozen or so more?

On a side note, Fergie just jumped on my lap and gave me the look that says "Put the laptop down and pet me!" :lol:

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
I don't think the desire ever goes away. You think it's bad when you visit Petsmart, try working in the cattery! I think if I owned my own home, I'd have more cats, but renting keeps me in line.

And Fergie wasn't telling you to put the laptop down, she was saying, "No more cats!" :D

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Oh yes, it is hard to stop, especially if you encounter kitties in need on a regular basis. My hubby and I had to stop going to the shelter because we kept bringing a friend,or two, home.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I have found it very difficult to stop although many of my cats have come to us by accident. Marie is right that volunteering with a cat adoption group makes it much harder. I can list about five that I would like to bring home, and if I did bring those home there would probably be five more and then ten, etc. etc. etc.
You have to find what is the right number for you and your family (including your cat family). It is irresponsible to take on more then you can feed and provide vet care for. I know that with my FeLV+ kitties there is often more vet care involved so that makes me think again before I bring home another cat. I would still really really like to bring Jake home, though.

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
On the other hand, volunteering at Petsmart has helped me see that these kitties do find new homes. That does give me hope - knowing that even though I'm not taking these kitties in, they will eventually find good homes.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I was just speaking with my husband yesterday about our dwindling number of cats. We haven't been below double digits in years. Besides the two fosters (who are not ours) we have 8. We have had up to a dozen at one time.

We don't go LOOKING for more cats. Cats-in-need just happen to find us and we cannot turn them away. It isn't just me, Hubby brings home more than his fair share, too. It drives my Mother bonkers that we have so many cats. I hear: "You know Heidi, people are going to look at you strange, blah, blah blah..." "No one will want to come visit you if you have so many animals, blah, blah, blah..." "You better hope your Hubby doesn't get tired of those cats, blah, blah, blah..." "I can't have one conversation with you where you don't mention a cat at least once, blah, blah, blah..."
I've got news for her...
I don't care what other people think about me, who visits or not, Hubby would not bring me more cats if he didn't like them too and the cats are part of our LIFE, so yes, I will be mentioning them.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Heidi i know what you mean! Every time i see my parents they ask if i've found a home for any more cats...and I've told them I'm keeping these 4. When I say that again they say 'But that's too many'.

I do this it's hard not to bring more home, but for me Jitzu is a big reason to have restraint. She does NOT like other cats, esp adults. She gets along with the boys, but her and Torri are still not getting along. Knowing how much stress both girls would go through helps a lot. My kitties have all found me, i never went out looking for one, but i have been tempted more than once by an older kitty who looks so unhappy at the adoption center.

·
Banned
41 Posts
I've always had the one but adopted Mary over a year ago, I'd always wanted a tortie and promised myself one, as a companion for Buddy. I want more but it's not possible at the moment. I've thought about fostering but the desire to keep the little ones would be to much. I would have a house full of kitties if I could. My lifelong dream is to have my own cattery/rescue home, that would be kitty heaven to me, so no I don't think the desire will ever go away. I'm always looking on the rescue centre sites just to see what kitties they have.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Two adolescent kitties have been dumped here, at my home, one tabby, and one solid black. They are very cute and so sweet. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for proper vet care and food for two more cats.
I am going to call Happy Paws Haven, a no-kill shelter in nearby Arab, to come get these two little sweethearts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts