Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently brought home a 12 week old male (desexed) ragdoll to be buddies with my 8 month old male (also desexed) ragdoll.

First few days I kept them separated 99% of the time. Whenever they met face to face there was plenty of hissing. After a few days the new kitten became very curious about what was on the other side of the door so I have started letting him out to interact with his big brother.

Now, the older kitten will give him a brief cleaning (primarily his ears and his butthole) but will always try and stand over the little kitten. Not long after the cleaning starts he will pin him to the ground and start biting him, primarily on the neck but I have seen him go for the tummy as well. At this point I always break them up.

Throughout this there is no hissing from either party. Occasionally the little kitten may squeak.

Am I just being over protective? The older kitten is giant in comparison and I am worried about things getting out of hand. Once I separate them (typically by picking up the older one and taking him to another room) the little kitten will follow close behind.

What should I do here?

Thanks so much for all your help.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Just playing. Your older cat is just letting kitten know who's boss, but is showing his friendliness by grooming his ears, etc. Kittens at 8 mos. are entering their "teens" and males can be brats, more bullish, until they reach their maturity when they usually settle down more---could be up to 2 yrs. Kitten squeaks if his the bites are hurting him or claws.....does your older cat back off then? No hissing is a good sign that there's no anger/hatred/fear between them. Kitty would not follow you with your older cat to another room if he was afraid or being hurt. Yes, I think you're being a little over protective. Things sound normal to me, and you just need to engage them in play together.several times a day to siphon off their high energy at this stage.......use a wand toy and flick it back and forth between them, or drag a long piece of cord around in a snakelike movement. Then give them treats together after their play, and they'll soon look forward to it and find it fun and good to get treats. All the best!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the other post. He’s showing dominance. I have 8 house cats and am quite familiar with this whenever a new arrival joins our family.It may eventually stop, at least become less frequent as they get used to one another.
completely normal though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 Ragdolls One aorund 10 and the other 17. It was a mistake to buy 2 Ragdolls so that they could have a friend. Ragdolls tend to like dogs as friends, not other Ragdolls.
Life was tough for my older one when I got the kitten. Both she and the dogs would bark and chase her. SHe was mirable till 2 of the dogs died. Now they tolerate each other but the ounger one will still swipe at the older one on occasion. Better to have a dog. There was a breeder in Illinois who is a veteranerian who used to spay her male kittens too early and they were mean and tended to bite . I hope you didnt get yours from her. I got 1 from her and she told me it was a few weeks old when I chose her. Said she was 8 weeks old when I picked her up. The vet I used said she was only 5 weeks old. SHe needed the 3 weeks she didnt have, to be with her mother to learn how to be a good cat. I had problems with her because of it.
My old cat has been happy for some time now and is a miracle cat as Ragdolls usually live to 10.
Good luck with your cat and dont let the older cat hurt the kitten. I should have given away one of my cats but I was told no one would want either as the older one had a bad skin condition and the other one had kidney problems from SOy in food, but did not like using the litter box even though I had 2 boxes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts