Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of you guys talking about giving your cat a bath, but I was wondering if this is always necessary. My cats are 100% indoors, without fleas, and do a very good job of grooming themselves. Do I need to bathe them?

·
Registered
282 Posts
If they never get smelly and have no skin problems, than probably not. I have 100% indoor cats, and they have had 2 baths so far, one due to fleas and one becuase they have developed dandruff this winter. My girls aren't really bothered by water so it's not a big deal to give them a bath (they fuss a little, but they hold still and don't try to escape).

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
It's not necessary but it would be nice to clean them every once in a long time. My cats don't like water and they will get crazy on you if you try to bathe them, my neighbors probably think I'm trying to murder a cat by the sounds they make! :p

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. If they start looking grubby at all, maybe I will attempt. But for now, they're still very young (< 4 months) so I'll hold off :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Nope not needed. Unless of course the doctor instructs it because of some skin condition, or your cat gets covered in complete filth either urine, or something toxic you get the idea. :)

I will bath new fosters if they need it, and I will bath my cats every 2-3 months or so, to help with my fiance's allergy problem.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mine get baths occasionly, but only if my cousin is here to help me hold them down. :roll: They get stinky, I guess b/c of the ferret, & Sammie has dandruff. But other than that they're fine. They're 100% indoors, no fleas, no nothing. I just give them baths to make sure they STAY that way.(my cats are so smart, they'll find a way to get dirty, no matter what! :p :roll: )

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bathed my cat once and she went ballistic! I never realized how strong she was until I gave her a bath. I was taking her to my parents house and my mom has allergies, but that would be the only reason I would ever do it again! Hint: if your cat is afraid of the water as mine is, wear a wetsuit. :wink:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I know!! I gave my last kitty a bath when she got sick because she had stopped grooming herself. Even sick and weaker than usual, she was still very resistant to being near water. I didn't even immerse her in any water - I just held her in the tub and sort of gave her a sponge bath. Didn't like it one bit!

·
Banned
410 Posts
I don't like to bathe my cats during the winter because I know they will freeze! I keep it plenty warm in here, but they still want to lay under the blankets--so I know they couldn't stand to be wet and cold. :D All of my cats get dandruff during the winter, so they get baths in the spring.

·
Banned
60 Posts
I bathe the babies Sam and Ka (3.5mo) about once a week or two weeks, depending on how they smell because Sam isn't too big on cleaning himself.

11mo Tux and Buffy maybe once a month.

12yo Boy once every 3-4 months.

Only on hot sunny days though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts