Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like Tiger Lily is very small and I was wondering if her growth could have been stunted from early malnutrition or something?

A little background, my son found her in a parking lot last August and we took her to the vet immediately. The vet said she was thin but probably 8 weeks, so that puts her at just over a year now. That's all I know about her kittenhood, no mom or siblings were around. The vat has never said anything about her size, the only reason I ask is that I just adopted Zoey, who is I think maybe 6 months older than her, and there is a huge size difference. Tiger Lily still looks like a kitten.

Zoey is in the front, and I would consider her to be a small cat. Muffin is larger than Zoey. Tiger Lily is farther back, so that accounts for some of the difference, but not all.

Anywho, smaller than normal, or does she have more growing to do?

·
Registered
71 Posts
She could just be small. My sister's cat is from the same litter as my cat, where mine is 16 pounds and the size of an average cat, hers is very small, like she's half grown. The litter was found under a porch at 6 or 7 weeks old and thats all we know too. She's probably about half the size of my cat and you can easily pick her up one handed like a kitten though she's four. I don't know how clearly this picture shows her size but she's pretty small for a adult cat, about the size of Tiger Lily from the looks of it. I don't have a comparison picture between my cat and her sadly though, they live at different houses.

·
Registered
594 Posts
hard to tell from the photos..how much does she weigh? My kitties are both around 12 pounds. I once had a roommate who had a Siamese cat that was probably no more than 5 pounds, but she could jump really high.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Jem is small and I don't honestly think she's going to grow much more. Oz is a little bit younger but quite a bit taller and longer - almost inevitably, he weighs more although they are both slim-line. I don't think it's necessary down to malnutrion, although both of their mothers were undernourished while carrying them - think of people, my sister has always been taller and bigger than me on idetical diets!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My Sienna is quite petite, particularly compared to my Siamese gargantuan I had who weighed in at almost twice as much. Sienna weighs around 7 lbs and is at a good weight.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have an exotic shorthair: Hermione and she just turned two years old. She is very tiny. In fact she is smaller than my Persian: Bocelli who just turned eight months old. He is now bigger and longer than her. She weighs almost nothing when you pick her up. My husband says it's like she has bird bones; she's just very petite. She eats very well like my 2 others and plays just as hard. She can zip through a room like no other! I did notice she is very restless; always awake and looking for something to do as if she has a very short attention span. She's so odd in so many ways which is very endearing to us all.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My friend has a ragdoll (one of the largest breed, possibly only second to maine ****) that is only a little over 4 pounds. The cat is already 4 year old so no room for growth. She was never malnutrished so it has to be gene. She is definitely very adorable as such a tiny cat. My friend likes to put her in pocket :D

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I don't know how normal but I do know that all the cats born on my mom's farm are tiny. It's not malnutrition because my sister in law feeds them HUGE quantities of food (now if she would just start TNRing them). My ex husband had brought in a kitten at one point who was toddling and eating on her own and she was the size of an audio tape case. She could sit on an audio tape case and fit on it entirely.... when she was full grown (living with my sis in law) her entire body could fit on a CD case when she was laying down. NOthing hanging over. TINY!

I'm guessing it was genetics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts