Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten is a few days over 9 weeks. And since we got her I noticed that we can feel her bones, not like scary skinny. But you can feel her ribs and hip bones. No I'm not sure if this means she was malnourished or if this normal? She weights about 1lb. Do I need to feed her more? I've been doing small meals during the day but I'm not sure if I should feed her more wet food to help get the weight up if she is underweight. If anyone has info on this would be greatly appreciated. I know it'll be easier if I can just take her to the vet and get this figured just current we dont have the funds to cover it, but she doesn't show any signs of illness. She poops normal and urinating seems good.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
1 pound. Typo?

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
Your cat needs to see a vet immediately. If you can't afford one, please take her to the vet and relinquish her so she can be treated and brought back to health. I think she's experiencing failure to thrive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your cat needs to see a vet immediately. If you can't afford one, please take her to the vet and relinquish her so she can be treated and brought back to health. I think she's experiencing failure to thrive.
Can you explain more? When we got her the people who had her explained that she was the smallest. Now she doesn't have any signs of illness. And yes I will be taking her to the vet for her shots and such that she'll need but that wont until about next week so I can cover what she needs. But she's not sitting here dying. She eats her food, she drinks her water. Her energy is far from low. She sleeps the amount a kitten should.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 pound. Typo?
I check her weight again and it comes up to about 810 grams. So that translated says "1.786" pounds. I tried to weigh her before and just tried to round it off for her food, so I know what amount to feed her. Same with her wet cat food. But this time I figured out a right way to to weigh her because last time she was you know, being a kitten and didnt want to stay still. But I put her in a container and got to the nearest number that showed up for frequent and that was 810 grams. But it's not say that I'm never taking her to a vet. She will be going but not this very minute unless something severe were to happen. But right now she seems completely fine.

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
There's a huge difference, at that age, between 1 lb and 1.786 pounds. Sounds like she's just a tiny cute little kitten.

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
Let her eat as much and as often as she likes.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Your kitty sounds like she was the "runt" of the litter and may always be smaller than normal. As Marie says, you should feed her as much as she wants. A cat is normal weight if you can just feel the ribs under a light layer of fat, and her hip bones, on either side of the rump by the tail should not stick up or be prominent but covered with a layer of fat and should not be felt easily. She is underweight if you can feel them. Make sure you are feeding her a good quality of canned food without grains (wheat, soy, etc.) that is marked "kitten food" as it is higher in protein and fat than that for "adults". By the way, your kitty is adorable! All the best!

Here is a good website on cat nutrition you may find helpful. https://catinfo.org/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have any recommendations for wet food brands? From what I was reading I know raw diet is best suited. Just unfortunately my budget isnt quite there. But if there is brands that you would suggest for a young kitten that I can feed her for now until I get her set on a more proper diet

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
A kitten her age should weigh about 2.25-2.5 lbs, but if she's very small her weight is probably OK. In general, pate style foods are higher calorie than shreds or chunks in gravy. Wellness pates are probably the highest calorie food available. Also Fromm, Dave's, Redbarn, Hound & Gatos and a bunch of others. This is the most important time in her life for her to be on the best diet you can afford...she's growing leaps and bounds. Also be aware that you feed much less of better quality foods than low quality.

As for finances....you need a back up plan Start a savings account for vet emergencies, apply for a credit card to be used just for her or get her insurance. The vast majority of vets want to be paid up front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have pet insurance that we'll be signing her up for just has to wait until Monday because its the weekend. And I understand the cost. Just like this exact moment I don't have much but later in the week I will. Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Our Burmese was very tiny, skinny and underweight when we got him. He stayed that way for years. Until the last 2 years, he never went over 4#. He is going to be 11 in August and now finally has meat on his bones. He’s up to between 5 & 6# now. He was a runt and stayed that way. I agree that your baby should be allowed food at all times as long as he doesn’t gorge and throw up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts