Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My NF kitten is due to be spayed next week. My vet has explained the procedure to me and I understand most of what will happen ( everything is done in Japanese). But she has said that in Japan they only remove the ovaries unless they can see some other problems

I have been looking on the net and getting myself in a state worrying about pyometra and other diseases. Should she have her uterus removed too? The vet said she would do it if I insisted but normaly they don't.

Can you give me some advice.
Thank you
Extremely nervous new mum.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm not sure how they do it in North America. I believe they do remove both the ovaries and uterus here.

Spays and neuters are routine surgeries for the most part and complications shouldn't be an issue. However, 1) I'm not a vet 2) I'm not sure how different it is between North American and Japan.

Perhaps others can add some information for you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldn't really want a surgery done if they are not experienced at doing it. Can you ask the breeder if she can recommend another vet?

She won't continue to go into heat without her ovaries, so shouldn't develop pyometra. The ovaries are also where tumours usually start, not the uterus.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I dont see where they said the vet was in experienced with it.

Anyway, Im in the states and I HAVE heard of only the ovaries being removed. However that's only done if they animal in question has not hit their first heat cycle. But without the ovaries no heat cycle, there for no opening of the uterus to let things in to form pyometra.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I dont see where they said the vet was in experienced with it.
She said the vet would remove the uterus if she insisted, but it isn't something they usually do. I think that implies that if it's an out of the ordinary procedure for them, they would have less experience than a vet who normally removes the uterus during a spay. So basically, if she decides she'd rather have the uterus removed, maybe she can find a vet that this is not "unusual" for. If she's comfortable with just the ovaries being removed, then there's no reason to change vets.

I don't have any input on whether or not it's necessary. Where I live it's normal to remove the uterus during a spay, so I've never had to make the decision. But I do agree if I wanted it done, I whould look for a vet who does it routinely.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
As long as she hasn't gone through estrus yet, just removing the ovaries should be fine. But if she is older and has cycled already, the whole thing should be removed. The common thing here is to take them both out. There are no adverse effects from taking the uterus with the ovaries. And it cuts out any possibility of having missed a heat cycle and leaving her succeptible to pyo.

·
Registered
336 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts