Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

was wondering if it is ok to shave my cats?

its now getting warm out and my house has NO AC and i really cant open the windows. (security reasons, i dont want my trashy neighbors breaking in, and Bugs get threw the screen, fleas and nats)(i live in the middle of a big field. and there tend to be lots of fleas living out there)

so the house has been at 90+ deg and my 2 kittys are not happy.

they are lying around panting and not very active.

so would it be cool to buzz them down with hair clippers? down to probably 1/8-1/4"

they are short hair.

thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
a lot of people do shave their cats in the summer time, so im pretty sure its ok, but I would take them to a groomer for a professional job. good luck.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Shaving cats should be done IF there is a solid reason. Shaving cats makes them prone to sunburn since their fur isn't there to protect them. Cats do not sweat like us, also making the reason invalid. They pant. And since the sun can actually reach their skin, it can burn them and make them more hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my cats never go outside. so sunburn is less of a concern

i know they dont sweat like us, but they have become very lathargic. they dont want to move, just lay there as if they were sick.
i know they are not sick. in the evening when it cools down they perk back up.

i figured that removing most of there fur would help to lower there body temp a little and help to make it bearable for them.

i know its hard on me. ive been around the house in my underware and it is still very hot.

i figured i would remove the fur on there torso and leave the tail, legs, and head alone.

thanks

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
You could call a groomer and see what they think. Even though cats don't sweat, there still would be a cooling effect, especially if you had a fan going due to convective heat loss.

·
Registered
917 Posts
my bf told me a story about a house he lived in with a super hot kitty. they put out a bowl of ice for the kitty to lick, but kitty just flopped down and took a nap in the ice bowl!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts