Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to open the sliding door / windows for my indoor cats to get the "freshies" (fresh air, sights, smells and sounds of the outside)? Coco and Wittle just love it when we do that for them. They go out with us (supervised and in harnesses) when it is warmer out, and they love that too. I just worry that maybe this is harming/causing them frustration to do this. I don't want them to be developing a taste of what it would be like to be an outdoor cat. Does this even make sense? I love to make them happy, and they love to get their freshies every morning. I only hope they are not dreaming of what life would be like on the outside, and that they don't feel cheated in being indoors *99%* of their lives.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That's fine. Fresh air and sunshine are important for all of us!

However, if you don't want them to get a taste for being outside, don't *ever* take them outside!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
30 Posts
once a cat has been outside ,, they just have to be out there all the time
The will try anything to escape or slip past you.

I have a russian blue I trained to walk on a harness.
I really had to put my foot down when she would sit by the door meowing every 10 mins to go for a 'walk'
I try and get away with only walking her about once a week in the garden , and only when she is NOT begging for it ( or she will just keep perstering me, once she knows that begging works and she is rewarded for it )

I have since installed a cat-run on the veranda and the cats just LOVE it.
It is open 24/7 and they come and go as they please, rain, hail or shine, day and night.
Its the best thing I ever did for them.

Lilly still likes going for walks in the garden, but she doesnt beg for it anymore.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know that they love that fresh air. My cat love's looking out at the open window.
My cat did go from an outdoor cat to an indoor. Yet, I still let her out once in a great while but only under my supervision. Maybe that's why I haven't had a problems. She got used to being indoors after a while. I guess cat's may vary in how they react. My cat has darted off a few times but my husband caught her.
I feel that cats adapt just fine to the environment you provide them.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My cats were never intended to go outside... however Jerry has always wanted out from a very young age...even before knowing what outside was. Sometimes it is very hard to keep him from sneaking out. I wish I could just let him go out and play without haveing to worry, but there is so much out there that I cant protect him from!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think felinefanatic did a great job! The cat run or play yard is safe, but they get to go outside. It's a great way to combine of the safety of indoor cats with fresh air and sunshine! :)

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
I've never heard or seen of a "cat run"....that is an AWSOME idea tho. My three cats at home have a cat door and come and go whenever they want (well, of course not in the winter). They go bug the neighboors and get in an occasional spat with the strays that come around but they just love the outdoors. They are real ancy to get out again once winter is over. They could never be in door cats, we have our house open way to much for that. Now Oliver on the other hand, that lives with me, is strictly indoor...he gets in BIG trouble if he runs outside.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you can do it, 'cat runs' are wonderful to have. I've seen them many times. Mine enjoy fresh air sometimes through the screen door but they never go outside. That doesn't stop them from trying though, Ashley especially tries to get out every chance she gets, and she was never and outside cat. She has managed to get by me a time or two but never got far. Well, with the exception of one time a year or so ago, she got out without me catching her and hours later I saw her sitting on an old grill outside the door wanting back in. Go figure! LoL :D

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Heather, I hope you can build your cats a cat play yard, (if you can't keep them in) because the spats you spoke of often lead to abcesses and illnesses. Of course, cars are a huge danger also. Outdoor cats have a very short lifetime in comparison with indoor cats. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts