Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That my one cat does not like the others eyes?

We have 2 cornish rexes, Doris and Norman, Doris we have had since she was a kitten, Norman we recently accquired from the same cattery, they're not related. Doris is a female torti with green eyes and norman is a white flame point with crystal blue eyes. Doris absolutely LOATHES Norman and we cant figure out why. But recently we discovered and that Doris does not care as long as he is not looking at her, we even picked him up and placed his back touching her and she does not react, we faced him forward and covered his eyes and placed him right in front of her and she does not react but when we uncover his eyes she immediately growls and freaks out, if they approach each other on their own terms she does not care until he looks at her and then she starts growling and freaking out....

I can not figure out other than the absurd idea that she does not like his eyes, why she hates him so much and only when he looks at her. She's gone of vacation with us and has met other peoples cats and has never acted like this.....ever.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
When he looks at her, does he stare or blink his eyes (meaning "I'm OK, I'm cool") or does he look away? When a cat averts his gaze, he showing he's not a threat, but if he keeps staring at her, yes that can be perceived by her as an aggressive gesture. Sometimes my Devon Rex boy Zuba stares at his half-sister Alkee (white) and sometimes that will get her hissing. He likes to bully her a bit and chase and wrestle with her, and she doesn't like that very much. But then she will turn the tables on him...maybe the same day or not and then she's the bully. So don't really know why Doris freaks out when she sees Norman's eyes...can't say I've had a cat do that before. Maybe it's the blue eyes? has she seen another cat with blue eyes before?

·
Banned
15 Posts
They communicate with their eyes. But they do notice facial features like people do. My kitten is scared to death of my old cat. She never said anything hostle to him. It's just the way she looks.
Jill.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No she's never seen a cat with blue eyes before.

And no he does not blink he just looks at her but she'll react the second he glances her way.

And he's very playful, my biggest concern as of late is for our own skin! So far my husband and myself have had a full blown cat fight on our laps, Doris has peed herself once during a fight and she is beating the heck out of him, his face is always getting cut up. One fight happened once because my toddler picked norman up and dropped him on top of Doris, that was when she peed herself, and another fight happened because Doris was on my husbands lap and norman jumped onto the couch from behind and accidently landed on her

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Well, now we get the details....well no wonder she is freaking out. She likely thought that Norman attacked her when your toddler dropped him on her back....she didn't connect it was the toddler's doing, only that Norman landed on her back. A cat that pees on itself is extremely frightened or upset. So when Norman landed accidentally on her the second time, she thought he attacked her again. So it's no wonder that she has it in for him now. You're going to have to supervise your toddler more carefully if the two cats are near each other. I suggest you give Doris some time out to chill out.....away from Norman. I would separate her in another room for a week, to give her time to calm down. You can switch them around and let Norman have the room for half the day, but don't leave them together. Before you get them together again, try a calming collar on Doris. When you do let them together again, you going to have to retrain Doris that good things happen when she's near Norman, e.g. she gets treats. You're going to have to supervise them together carefully and prevent Norman from chasing her or wanting to play, and not allow your toddler to pick him up and drop him on Doris. When Doris is more comfortable in Norman's presence, try some interactive play between them with a fishing-pole toy such as "Da Bird", going back and forth from one to the other. You've got to try and change her mind that when she's with Norman good and fun things happen. I hope this will work, as some cats can react to a scary circumstance and not change, and then you may have to keep them separate to keep peace in the house. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts