Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just wanted to know if there are any extra precautions I should take because I'm getting my cat neutered tomorrow and he has Leukemia.

Thank you all! :)

P.S. I rescued this kitty (Oscar) from the sreeet when he was one month old. He is such a sweet kitty!!!!

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
Sorry, I don't really know. But the vet will want to know, of course. Staying tuned for any other responses. And keep us posted. :)

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I would wait until I am pretty sure Oscar is healthy, since a lot of cats don't wake up from surgery.

Otherwise, I really don't know.

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
Don't worry about your cat not waking up from surgery. :roll:

I think the main thing is the present status of the disease: currently ill with symptoms, recovered and in remission, or positive test but healthy (latent or carrier). I don't think surgery can be done on an ill cat. I don't know about the situation if he's presently symptom free but on medication. This is surely something for the veterinary surgeon to decide, which is why I hope he/she is aware of it. Keep us posted. Thanks.... 8)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
When we had ours neutered the vet gave us tons of leaflets and stuff on the what ifs... just ask your vet if there is anything else you need to know.

A friend of mine had her cat with leukemia spayed and she was fine... she actually seemed healthier after he op! So don't worry about her not waking up after the op, if it was that much of a danger, the vet wouldn't do surgery.

Just make sure the vet knows about the leukemia and if the cat has been ill recently (in case it isn't your normal vet who performs the surgery)... they are well used to us worrysome parents! :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
shengmei said:
I would wait until I am pretty sure Oscar is healthy, since a lot of cats don't wake up from surgery.
A lot of cat's don't wake up from surgery?

My cat had FELV and FIV and he was neutered. I took him into the vet a few times to have blood drawn and make sure he was as well as he could be and then we had he him nuetered. It does cause stress on their bodies, but my vet thought that him not being neutered may cause more stress in the long run.

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Just make sure your vet surgery knows he has FeLV. Other than that, this surgery is as routine for a positive cat as it is a normal healthy cat. I am assuming even though he has Leukaemia, he is normal at the moment? Most neuters are accompanied by an antibiotic injection, so that will guard against any infections. We have done plenty of surgery & dental work on cats with FIV and/or FeLV, and they've been fine.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
What is his conditon??? Does he currently test positive for the antibody of feline leukemia virus or is he ACTUALLY sick from feline leukemia???

Sorry about the not waking up from surgery comment. I thought the kitten was seriously ill.

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Not all cats who have Leukaemia are ill, Shengmei. It can incubate in some cats for years before they show signs of ill health.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am very happy to inform that Oscar is doing really well from the operation. Everything went ok and he is recuperating. The same day of the operation when I took him home he was eating and playing!. Thank you all for your advice and good wishes in such a scary time for me and my baby Oscar. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's great but I would have never gotten that done to a cat with leukemia!

It just seems wrong......keep the cat indoors and take care of it. Avoid unecessary surgery!

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Erm...do you know anything about feline Leukaemia? There is every reason to neuter a positive cat as there is a normal negative one. If he does ever get out, he'll be far less likely to infect other cats since he is neutered, and it will stop him starting to spray in the house. I think when it comes to cats, neutering IS necessary surgery!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sophie007 said:
That's great but I would have never gotten that done to a cat with leukemia!

It just seems wrong......keep the cat indoors and take care of it. Avoid unecessary surgery!
My vet said it was better to alter a cat that had Felv because of all the health issuses that can happen w/ an unneutered male. Neuteutering a cat is not an unecessary surgery it is quite the opposite.

I am glad everything went well Oscar&Mildred- you did the right thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn't. Leukemia is cancer of the blood- the result of a severely compromised immune system. there is already a member on this site who has a very sick cat right after he was neutered. Sometimes neutering/spaying- any operation can throw a cat into kidney/liver failure- and that's a cat who was well to begin with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As a matter of fact emma.....I had a cat die of leukemia years ago when I didn't know any better and used to let her out. He will infect other cats if he gets out whether he has been neutered or not. Thats why I felt there was no point.

As Sierra said leukemia is a cancer of the blood! What else do you need to know.....do you think maybe we should experiment with any other kind of surgery on a positive FELV cat?? Just to see what happens 8O

Neutering is not life or death surgery. Having the surgery on the other hand could have killed him! I'm very glad he is ok.

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
I never said he could not infect other cats now he is neutered...I said it was less likely. FIV and FeLV are transmitted via cat bites & mating. He wouldn't be doing the latter, and will be less inclined to do the former. Of course it is of paramount importance that he is strictly indoors.

I have seen and experienced several procedures performed on positive cats. I think neutering is of paramount importance in any healthy cat. You are forgetting that cats with FeLV can live a normal healthy life for years. FeLV in cats is NOT the same as Leukaemia in humans. It is NOT treated as cancer with any cancer drugs or therapy.

Castrating this kitten was not an 'experiment' and there was no question as to what would happen. The only increased risk for a positive cat over a negative cat would be the increased susceptability to secondary infection, hence the covering with antibiotics.

Ems

1 - 20 of 22 Posts