Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cats, a boy (Lucky) and a girl (Lucy). The two of them seem to be on good terms in general, except sometimes Lucky will provoke a wrestling match that ends with either Lucy hissing at him or Lucy chasing him around the house.
There's also other instances where from a human perspective it seems that Lucky is bullying Lucy. For instance, whenever we feed them, Lucky always eats first and Lucy hides somewhere nearby to wait for him to finish. Sometimes if Lucy is sleeping in one of her favorite spots, Lucky will arrive and less than a minute later Lucy will move to a different spot.
Is Lucky a bully? Is Lucy acting the way she does because she's intimidated or does she just want some space (she is not a cuddle cat; she likes being near people but only rarely lets people actually pick her up)?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
You just described my two cats most of the time, a mother and son. Son is much bigger and younger. I feed them in two closed separate spaces so both can enjoy their meal. I pick up any leftovers and save it for whomever left it unless it is too long and I dump it. (canned food) I felt like my male was a bully too. He is mellowing a little and his mother is sticking up for herself a little more. Plus I have made it clear she can run to me and all it takes at him is the look and a pointed finger and he stops. He had to learn that. After reading and posting on the forum, it seems this is cats. If Lucy doesn't seem stressed out all the time and seems happy, I say it is all good.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Same thing here! My Winston is somewhat of a bully to my Nyska, although it could be he is still young and playful and Nyska is not. For the most part, they tolerate each other. Only once Ina while Winston might bother Nyska enough where she swats at him. They have never hurt each other, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucy doesn't seem stressed out all the time, but 80% of the time if she sees or hears Lucky coming, she'll try to escape. For example, she could be calmly hanging out with my mother in bed, and then freak out trying to get off the bed when she see Lucky coming (she protests LOUDLY if anyone tries to stop her).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts