Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prince pats my nose gently when he wants his cheeks scratched (which is all the f-time, but that's another story). One day I was so fed up with it that I pretended not to understand what he wanted and each time I just stroked his head gently instead. About the third time, he scratched my cheek with his claws (gently), sweeping his claws over my chin swiftly exactly like I do to him, to demonstrate what he actually wanted.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Cats do try to communicate with signs and signals. I used this on Zenobi to explain that I didn't like her bites that drew blood. It's the quality of the signaling that counts and I believe that Prince is perhaps showing top cat intelligence. Missy is a sweet old girl with nowhere near the smarts of Zenobi.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
there's a book that measures cat I.Q. it probably isn't that scientific but it's fun. a neighbor with a lot of cats gave it to me a long time ago and i don't know where it is, but my cats tested out at the level just below genius. they're smart but not that smart lol.

for some weird reason my siamese cats always pat me on the arm like, "hey!" when they want something. my female dsh strokes my hair when she wants me to wake up and feed her. i was dreaming about someone combing my hair the other day and that's what she was doing. :)

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I think it's more like a learned behavior. It worked once, perhaps twice or three times and he learned that if he touched you there with his paw you scratch his cheek.

Just like MowMow learned that when he places his paw on my wrist I laugh and share a bit of my dinner. Or if he headbutts me I kiss the top of his head. Or if he rolls over and chirps at me I rub his tummy.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prince is perhaps showing top cat intelligence.
People who knew Prince before I did, from the streets, used to tell me he was a very intelligent cat, but I didn't know the first thing about cats a year and a half ago when I adopted him, so I had no point of comparison to other cats. To me, all cats are a million times more intelligent than I thought.

Nowadays I think Prince is exceptionally good at learning how to make his interests/desires understood. It's very rare that Prince meows and I don't know what he wants.

I think he's also very intelligent at understanding what I mean. Then again, I find my other 2 cats are also extremely good at understanding the intention behind the words. Once I left for 2 weeks, and a moment before grabbing my huge suitcase and leaving, I explained to Prince what was going to happen. He listened attentively, then did 2 things he never ever did before or after. When I finished explaining, he swatted my face and pooed outside the litter box. Then each morning when I left for work, he'd check to see if I was leaving with the suitcase (which was still near the door for some time after the trip).

Then again, I have the feeling that all cats probably do some "genius" things. Do you have any stories?

·
Registered
169 Posts
haha that's awesome. Yeh, my cats always know what they want and how to get it. It's about mutual understanding through paw/head/cheek/licking! gestures. LOL Soooo cute. They are masters of grooming/self-spoiling, and expect us to provide them with that service too!

·
Banned
74 Posts
Funny you should bring this topic up. I was going to start a thread on something similar.

Recently I've been watching some videos of parrots - they're VERY smart! They also have the ability to say actual words, unlike our feline friends. Here's one of the best-known examples, Einistein the parrot:

I've noticed my cat seems very smart sometimes too, and when I started watching these parrot videos I starting wondering, Are cats maybe sort-of close to parrots in intelligence, but we can't really tell because they lack the ability to talk? I could swear my cat understands quite a bit of what I tell her (or at least she generally seems to know what I'm talking about, sometimes at least). So I wonder if she had the ability to say something other than "meow" if she would be talking to me like one of these parrots.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or at least she generally seems to know what I'm talking about, sometimes at least).
This goes to prove cats are at least as intelligent as husbands.

Thanks for that vid, that parrot left me speechless!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts