Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past couple of weeks, my cat has starting having "episodes". As far as I can tell, there's nothing that seems to trigger them. She is an indoor only cat, about 11 years old and very lively. When she has an episode, she pulls her front left paw in close (almost like she's going to like her paw) but can't quite get it to her mouth. And then her head kind of wags. When I pick her up, she's stiff and ridged.

I'm worried that she may have something more seriously wrong with her. Has anyone else ever experienced this or have an insight to what might be happening with her?

To help narrow things down, her diet has not changed. She is still eating all the same food and displaying all the same behavior except for when she has an episode. She only has had this happen about a half dozen times in the past few weeks. We have no other pets and we do not allow her outside. She gets brushed everyday (because she insists on it and if you forget, she will remind you). She saw a vet about 6 months ago because she was limping (apparently she punctured a pad on her paw and it was causing her pain. He gave her a shot to make sure there was no infection but she piddled in the car on the way home - I think she was just motion sick).

So please - any help or insight, is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Yes...she needs to see a vet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have taken her to a vet, but I'm afraid he won't be able to tell me anything without doing several expensive tests - and then any treatment would also be super expensive. Trust me, if those funds were there, I wouldn't hesitate to spend them. Even without them being there, I may still be spending them. :(

Maybe I'll call the vet tomorrow and see if he can tell me anything over the phone. Give me an idea of what we could be looking at from best case to worst case. I did tell my husband to get a video next time so we can show exactly what is happening. She seems fine all except for these 5 or 6 episodes. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I'll give the vet a call in the morning. She hates the car (but loves the vet). :(

So does it sound like a seizure? It's the closest thing I could compare it to, but obviously I've never seen this before. My other thought was maybe it was an allergic reaction. But nothing is new in her diet and I've not switched anything at home. So that brings me back to seizure.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Definitely not an allergic reaction, a seizure is definitely a possibility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts