Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at odds! I have two wonderful babies, Surfboard and Zoë. I was out of town for a month and had a friend stay with the kitties. They are inside cats and are never allowed outside. Surfboard was neutered when we got him. Zoë was a tiny tiny thing when we adopted her and our vet said we should wait until after her first heat before we had her spayed. I wasn't aware she had to be that old but didn't see the harm in waiting since she would be an inside cat. She's NEVER gotten out in the 8 months we've had her...until now. We returned home on Sunday and were happy to see she hadn't grown up on us. She is very small, petite if you will :) But we noticed that she was still very lean, expect for her belly. It seems wide, much more so than it should be. We thought that she just ate too much, that is until I called my vet about getting her spayed. When asked if there was possibility she could be pregnant it dawned on me that she may have gotten out. I immediately called my friend who informed me they pushed out the screen of a back porch window and escaped one night. He says it was only for a shot time but it doesn't take long. The vet says they can do an x-ray or blood work to determine if she is or not but either would cost upwards of $80. They said they could go ahead and spay her and if she is pregnant it would be an extra charge for "the mess." I feel VERY strongly about population control and am very torn. The money is not the issue. I just don't know what to do. I hate to be part of the problem but don't know if I could abort the kittens. Is there any other way to tell if she's pregnant? Is having her spayed despite the chance of pregnancy the responsible thing to do? I just want to do the right thing for her mainly but also overall.
HELP!!!!

Thanks!
Amber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
:? You might be a grandmother! 8O

My parents spayed one of their cats when she was pregnant. It was very, very difficult for her. Her recovery took over a week. Frankly, I am surprised your vet would even suggest it. IMHO, just wait and see. You will be able to find homes for the kitties. It is the cute factor, you know. Just make sure you get her spayed after she has weaned the kittens. Considering how young she is she probably won't have more than a couple of kittens, anyways.

Besides, a mess of kittens in the house is a riot of fun! :wink:

And...you are being a responsible pet owner. We can't forsee everything our cats do, such as escaping and getting themselves knocked up before they are spayed. You were following your vets advice like a good pet owner does. The less traumatic thing for you kitty at this point is to let her have her babies, find them homes, and spay your kitty after the babes are weaned.

I would take her to the vet though. Her tummy swelling could also be an indication of a worms or parasites. It definitely be worth it too find out one way or another.

just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the reassurance. That's the direction I'm leaning towards (allowing her to have them). I just wish I could know one way or another if she's pregnant. I'll will take her in to make sure it is not some other health problem. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. You don't want to contribute to overpopulation but at the same time you don't want to cause an animal to suffer. You aren't part of the problem. The problem is people who just don't care and make no effort to spay or neuter their pets. You had every intention of spaying your kitty, she was just a little faster than you. :) These things happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Whether she's pregnant would become obvious soon. If you're certain she won't get out, delaying the spay won't make a lot of difference. Of course the fast way is to have the vet check.

I wondering why a vet would be suggesting a spay be delayed until after the first heat? Does anyone know if there's some sort of advantage to that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the signs other than a big belly??? And how big is big? What if she's just getting fat!

As for waiting until after the first heat, I want to say the vet said it had something to do with reducing the chance of cancer. Don't quote me on it but that is what is sticking out in my mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
I'm confused why the vet said he would take an xray? Isn't that potentially harmful to the kittens if she IS pregnant? Shouldnt he do an ultrasound? I've never heard of waiting til the first heat to reduce chances of cancer, its safer to do it as far as I know BEFORE the first heat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
I'd get a second vets opinion. Pagye is right, the vet should be able to tell just by feeling the stomach!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
I would get her spayed regardless if your vet says he will. There are many risks involved with having a pregnant cat and then taking care of the kittens such as your cat could get an infection or have trouble giving birth. It would be the wisest health choice for your pet to just have her spayed. I would take her to the vet anyway in case she really isn't pregnant and somehting else is wrong. You wouldn't see her abdomen grow that quick so there could be other things going on. Though I wasn't clear on how long you were on vacation for? Cat's are pregnant for about 63 days. In early pregnancy you would notice her nipples get more pink and prominent and that she is eating a lot more. Middles pregnancy would be you notice she put some weight on and then she starts to get large in the abdomen.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
When did your friend say the kitties got out? It doesn't seem like a long enough time to notice abdominal swelling. I would go to the vet just in case! I also think since the max length your kitty is pregnant for is 4 weeks that I would opt for the spay. That is just my opinion, however, and it would need to be done immediately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The esitmated date of escape is May 10. If you look at her from behind, you can see a clear "curve" on both side from her belly sticking out. Her belly seems to hang slightly and feels tight. She is only 10 months old and is still quite small. Maybe that is why it's so noticable. Her niples are quite pink and seem a bit swollen, but not much. This may sound like a stupid comparrison but they are much more noticable than my male cat's are. It's the only thing I have to compare it to! Stop laughing :lol:

I'd love to post some pics of my black beauties but I'm not sure how.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,801 Posts
Cats are pregnant for much longer than 4 weeks!
It is about 63 days I think, 9 weeks or so.
At around 2 weeks you will see her nipples start to change colour and become bigger as she fills with milk.

And if I were you I you get a new vet. Why your current vet suggested her going through heat before being spayed I have no idea- there is no reason for that, I got my cats done at 6 months old, before any had been into heat. And wanting to xray a potentially pregnant cat is dumb! Unless there is an absolute medical need to xray it should not be done as it can harm unborn kittens. A well qualified vet should know where to feel, and the feel of a pregnant cat, if need be they could always do a scan which wouldnt harm the unborn kittens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the post before was referring to me being out of town for a month. Since she got out during that period then the furthest along she could be is 4 weeks.

I'm quite upset with my vet right now. Yesterday when I called to discuss my options I asked what the estimated gestation period was. The guy on the phone asked me to hold while he looked up that price! He had no idea what I was talking about 8O . I realize he was just the guy answering the phone but give me a break! I asked him to have a vet or a vet tech call me back but it was him on the line when I answer my phone an hour later. That's when I got on the computer and found this forum. I'm going to try to speak with someone at the office today who is capable of having an informed conversation. I had the same reservations when an x-ray was suggested and that's when they mentioned a blood test. Never once did they say "bring the cat in and we'll examine her." I found that odd.

Her nipples are definitely pink. I can't say what they looked like before I left at the beginning of May so I don't know if this is a change. We'll see what the vet says but any opinions would be appreciated.

As for waiting until after the first heat, I have no idea where they got that from. Since she was only going to be an inside cat I didn't see the harm in waiting if that's what they thought best.

As I said before, I am very concern about over population and feel horribly guilty about the prospect of bringing new kittens into this world. My kitties are like my babies and I only want what's best for them. This may sound off a bit and overdramatic but I'm pro-choice and if she is pregnant I choose to allow her to have them. I just can't abort the kittens. Before anyone responds, please know that this is a very difficult choice. I know the stats and I'm well aware of the problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,186 Posts
Please, everyone correct me if I am wrong but I'm reading replies and I see the majority of people say to get the cat spayed even if she is pregnant?? Wouldn't this be killing a handful of unborn kittens? I don't get it. I say if she's pregnant, let her have the innocent kittens! I guess I'm just very against abortion and basically that's what it would be if you had her spayed while pregnant. Am I wrong on this?? I figured alot of you would feel this way too, unless I'm just not seeing something. I'm confused....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,801 Posts
Altho I never said anything on this case heather I always suggest it, along with ever other option there is. That way the owner knows what opntions they have, what they can do.

advis I think i misread queens post too sorry! but now if you didnt already you know the gestation period :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
I'm sorry for your situation :( I hope everything works out for you and your kitty.

If you do decide to keep the litter (assuming your kitty is pregnant), then when it comes to finding homes for the kitties I would take the advice of some wise members on this board:

Don't give away your kitties "free to a good home." Get them their shots and vet check-ups as needed, and then ask the potential new parents to pay for the accumulated vet costs.

Although nothing is 100%, this helps to insure that your kitties are going to good homes and not to teenage boys who want to operate on them.

p.s. -- no offense to any young guys on the forum here; since you are here, we know you are ok! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the latest:
The vet says that an x-ray will NOT harm the kittens in anyway. She says that an x-ray is always recommend with both dogs and cats in order to determine litter number and due date. They don't do ultra-sounds and they cost 4 times as much. I have an appoint for tomorrow.
Thoughts??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,801 Posts
no no no
get a new vet, why do you think the same is with people and unless absolutle nesserey xrays are not performed. xrays are dangerous anyway, thats why even with people not pregnant they dont xray unless need be. xrays emit radiation, too much of any radiation causes cancer, thats why people who work in xray departments in hospitals wear special suits. Although the chances are slim, would you expose a pregnant cat to radiation? thats what an xray is.

If you know when your cat got out then count 63-65 days from that date and you will get a due date. Number litter isnt *too* important unless you really really want to know. Vienna my cat had 6 kittens, and that was her first (and only) ever litter on average I dont think litters go much above this- but there are always the exceptions!
cats tend to be good mothers, when vienna was due she did something really strange with me and lightly bit the top of my hand, just touching it with her teeth, I should have clicked then but I didnt and later that night she had her kittens. Usually they start to nest close to when they are due- but vienna didnt so it can be tricky.
personally I wouldnt go for an xray, but if Drjean sees this before you go to the vet she/he (sorry not sure lol) will have a more professional view for you :)
In the mean time it might be worth just phoning another vet and getting thier opinion on xraying pregnant cats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
adavis333 said:
I think the post before was referring to me being out of town for a month. Since she got out during that period then the furthest along she could be is 4 weeks.

I'm quite upset with my vet right now. Yesterday when I called to discuss my options I asked what the estimated gestation period was. The guy on the phone asked me to hold while he looked up that price! He had no idea what I was talking about 8O . I realize he was just the guy answering the phone but give me a break! I asked him to have a vet or a vet tech call me back but it was him on the line when I answer my phone an hour later. That's when I got on the computer and found this forum. I'm going to try to speak with someone at the office today who is capable of having an informed conversation. I had the same reservations when an x-ray was suggested and that's when they mentioned a blood test. Never once did they say "bring the cat in and we'll examine her." I found that odd.

Her nipples are definitely pink. I can't say what they looked like before I left at the beginning of May so I don't know if this is a change. We'll see what the vet says but any opinions would be appreciated.

As for waiting until after the first heat, I have no idea where they got that from. Since she was only going to be an inside cat I didn't see the harm in waiting if that's what they thought best.

As I said before, I am very concern about over population and feel horribly guilty about the prospect of bringing new kittens into this world. My kitties are like my babies and I only want what's best for them. This may sound off a bit and overdramatic but I'm pro-choice and if she is pregnant I choose to allow her to have them. I just can't abort the kittens. Before anyone responds, please know that this is a very difficult choice. I know the stats and I'm well aware of the problems.
It is your decision. It is obvious we all just love our kitties and are very concerned about the same issues as you. We just have different ideas on how it should be dealt with. It is up to you to make this decision for your kitty.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top