Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a rubbermaid box as litter box:
http://i.imgur.com/jWZTv.jpg
she is "doing it" in the pic, if she is on her 4 feet, she's almost the same length as the box, is it big enough? she is 9 months old

then there is hair shedding. my mom(completely cat noob) says hair shedding is a seasonal thing, is it true?

I use this to brush her. first it is so hard to brush her limbs and head areas, and even her torso that i brush everyday, is hardly showing any sign of amelioration.

she doesn't eat her hair, she will leave them on the carpet. i have to vacuum more often since her shedding. and ironically she hates the vacuum, it's a central vacuum system so it's not even making that much noise. if I tease her with the vacuum head, she will hiss. So far it's the only way i can make her hiss. :)

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
The box is a little small imo, doesn't give her much room to move around or avoid previous deposits.

Some cats shed all year round, others seasonally. Since you have a long haired cat...I would expect continuous shedding. Shedding can be reduced with regular grooming and a high quality wet food diet.

The brush you have is a slicker brush and is intended as a finishing brush to pick up the last of the loose hair and give the coat a nice shine. Holly is long haired and I find the best thing to use on her is a wide tooth metal comb. Gets the hair out and finds the mats really easily.

Teasing her with the vacuum head is just mean. There is no need to make her hiss. This is a good way to ruin your relationship with your cat and make her avoid you.

·
Banned
873 Posts
...shopping time
IF you have the inclination to "research" a little before you 'hit the mall', you might want to find out what Dr. Lisa recommends for litter boxes....including NOT forcing a cat to climb up and jump in/out...oh, and about size also The Litter Box From Your Cat's Point of View by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Litter box management, types of cat litter, feline house soiling, inappropriate elimination

I've given you a link to the middle of her complete article.....start at the top and you'll get a complete Litterbox 101 course...lots of tips in there!

Now about you're 'making her hiss'.....well, please take a moment to ask yourself why you'd want to terrify a little cat (whom you'd want us to think you care for).....:sad2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is nothing significantly bigger than my rubbermaid at animal store.

I cut an opening on one side of the box in the beginning but later patched it since i see she just jump in and out, but maybe it's because it's too small.

I dont think she associates terror with hissing. because i ve seen her being terrified in the presence of big dog, or even one time with two cats. she just lay on the ground like her feet got no strength at all; then if i pick her up, she will immediately climb on my shoulder... oh, fun time

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
there is nothing significantly bigger than my rubbermaid at animal store.

I cut an opening on one side of the box in the beginning but later patched it since i see she just jump in and out, but maybe it's because it's too small.

I dont think she associates terror with hissing. because i ve seen her being terrified in the presence of big dog, or even one time with two cats. she just lay on the ground like her feet got no strength at all; then if i pick her up, she will immediately climb on my shoulder... oh, fun time
go online and look for another litter box. that one looks a little bit small (although it's kind of hard to tell because it looks deep) if she's only 9 months old, i think it might be too small if she grows. plus, if you clean out EVERYTHING she does as soon as she does it, fine, but otherwise she's going to step in it and then she won't really want to use the box.

i got one of those top entry clever cat boxes, it looks like yours except there's a cover on top except there's room for about 2 or 3 cats in it lol (not that they make going to bathroom a social event) but it has a top on it with a round hole in it. great for tracking, but only one of my cats would use it and he even quit so it sits unused. (they have two other booda domes, i recommend those if you can get it there, they're big and they look pretty nice).

they make a "fake" furminator. furminators cost anywhere from $35 to $45 depending on where you get them, and i wanted to make sure it would work well so i only paid about $12 for the fake one and it's great. you just aren't supposed to use them too vigorously or too often or you can make bald spots on your cat :( i thought they had a razor in them or something but the teeth are just really close together and it pulls out the undercoat. you have to be pretty gentle with it or your cat won't like it because it pulls.

cats shed all the time. they have a shedding season (around may sometime, here) when it's worse but it goes on constantly. look for a furminator knock-off, it will take care of 90% of the extra hair problem.

one time a really nutty friend of mine was over and i turned on the vacuum and of course my cats ran from it, but diotima looked pretty funny because she has short legs so honey goes, "omg why is she so afraid?" and i said, "because i told her i'm going to suck her up with it," and she goes, "NO WONDER!!!" i'm like "you dork, as if she understands what i'm saying!" (i used to say it but i never chased her or anything. cats just almost automatically hate vacuums, i think.)

i also used to prove it isn't what you say but how you say it by holding my cat really nice and saying in a baby voice, "oh i hate you, i hate you so much, i'm going to cut you up into little pieces and eat you," and they just purrrrr. lol.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree, too small. We use large under the bed storage totes we found at a local hardware store (and sometimes Walmart has some, but they tend to be smaller). I've also heard of people using cement mixing trays bought at large hardware stores (they are pretty big too!).

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've also heard of people using cement mixing trays bought at large hardware stores (they are pretty big too!).
yeah, we use one of those cement trays. it's @19" X 27" and works great for our little 9-lb girl. they make even bigger ones, though. allows her to pee on one end and poop at the other without getting her feet messy. and if we're home and hear her in the box, we always clean it up immediately for her so she's got a fresh bathroom every time. it's like flushing the toilet after we go, right? if we don't like it sitting around after we go, why would our kitty? :wink:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I think the sides are too high. I use a 28 Gallon Sterilite storage box on the advice of my Vet. She uses them in her practice.

No problem with litter kicking, large enough that you don't have to fill them completely.

Just over $5 each.

Sterilite 28-Qt White Storage Box - Walmart.com

I'd post a pic but I have to get back to opressing womyn.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was looking at those sterilite containers above at the dollar store the other day. I think they were $6. Looked about the right size. Our litter box is 18 long and I know it's not big enough. I'm just still undecided on what to replace it with. It's the one they were using at their old house. Plus I wanted to give them some time to settle in and change one thing at a time, not everything at once.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My friends mother once used a large under bed storage box, like Dave_ph described.

I know another woman who keeps a couple litter boxes throughout her house but in her basement, I kid you not, she uses a kiddie pool for a litter box! There is no way her cats (she had 2) were going to miss that big box!

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Kobi doesn't fit in even the largest of standard litter boxes. Poor guy has to stand with his back end in the box and his front end out of it. So I have 2 storage totes that are 18W x 30L x 15H. I cut a hole in the side with a hot knife. I think I paid $6 or $8 each for the boxes at Lowe's. And the hot knife (soldering iron with a knife tip) was pretty cheap...maybe $15.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts