Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my mom cat, Riley, and her kittens to the vet this past week. The vet looked them over and she said that she would like to deworm the kittens next week....they'll only be going on 4 weeks old next week. i asked her if anything was wrong and she said no, she just likes to deworm kittens as soon as possible. she also wants to spay Riley on June 8th...she gave birth to the kittens on May 2nd...the kittens will be a little over 5 weeks old then...I doubt they will be fully weaned then. the vet assured me it will be ok, she does this all the time....but I've never heard of deworming kittens younger than 6 weeks old. Riley was dewormed at 6 weeks old. and i certainly dont want to spay Riley before the kittens are fully weaned. because she wont produce milk after she's fixed right?
The kittens are just now being introduced to solid foods, they take a taste or two from a plate that I set on the floor. But they cry for Riley and immediately go to her to nurse. She is however, pushing them away more and more.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
She can still produce milk after she has been spayed but it is highly unrecomended to have ther spayed while they are still nursing.
The vet wanting to spay her may be concern about her coming into heat again, cats are fertile as soon as they have given birth, and can come into season anytime around (and after) 4 weeks after birth (Altho my cat didnt after 9, then i got her spayed.)
The vet may be concerned about lung worm, which can be passed from nursing queens to kittens, but ive never heard of them being wormed so young. Dr Jean will hopefully give more advice, but personally i would get a second opinion.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I don't see any particular reason to deworm them so early, unless she's done fecals and found them to have an overwhelming parasite load. None of the dewormers I'm aware of can safely be used before 6-8 weeks of age.

Spaying at this point can be done and she will still produce milk; although because of post-op pain she may be reluctant to allow the kittens to nurse. However, a nursing mother is much more difficult to spay because of the enlarged milk glands and engorged blood vessels in the area. As long as you can keep Riley safely confined indoors, I'd give it a couple more weeks, until her milk goes down and the kittens are reliably eating solid food.

Yeah, perhaps a second opinion *is* a good idea. Well, I guess it would now be a third opinion since I already told you mine! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. :D This is my first litter of kittens but I've had cats and dogs for years and this is the first time a vet has ever told me to deworm at under 6 weeks. She did a fecal on the mom and them and it came out negative. and i havent seen any worms or anything out of the ordinary.
I think I will call and push back Riley's appt for another week or so. She is confined indoors right now. And she's not going back outside until she is fixed.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Our Maugli got dewormed when she was around 4-5 weeks old - but I think the reason for that was because she was constipated and the vet thought, it could be because of worms. She gave us some kind of liquid deworming medication. We were giving it to her for 5 days - once a day.
Is it bad that she got dewormed so young? :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BoscosMum said:
How many kittens do you have? :D
I have 3 kittens and 2 adult cats. out of Riley's litter of 5, 2 orange tabbys and one tuxedo (black cat with white chest and toes) survived. I've found homes for all 3 babies. :D Everyone wanted the tuxedo, but my friend had pick of the litter and he chose the tuxedo kitten. I dont know what it is, but lots of people dont like orange tabbys. I love them. I own an adult female that I adopted from the pound and she's a great cat.
Riley is an ok mom, this is her first litter too, and she's barely a year old. I should have gotten her fixed, but she was hard to catch. after she got pregnant, she's become much more sociable. And she will definitely be fixed when she is ready.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Bosco is orange tabby and white! Me loves him soooo much!
I also do love tuxedo cats...lets see..Siamese are my favorite though!

Hmm??? I doubt there is a cat, that I would not like! hehee

·
Registered
428 Posts
Worming kittens and spaying mom

I've wormed kittens as young as a week old and they were fine. As for mom getting spayed, your vet is worried she'll get pregnant again and that's why she's rushing this. Is mom cat kept indoors? If she is, wait until the kittens are weaned and her mammory glands have decreased in size. However, if this mom cat is an outdoor cat, then by all means, get her spayed early. In either case, please don't let her have any more babies. This world has too many now that are dying needlessly in shelters and on the streets. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts