Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently rescued a Maine coonSally (8 months old) from a shelter. The people there told me she came from a noisy house with kids and other pets, and she would do well with a quiet home. My husband and I have no other pets and no kids. We both work 8+ hours per day (so lots of alone time for her). She was spayed less than 2 months ago (just previous to rescuing her).
She hides all day long and refuses to come near my husband and I voluntarily. I think she has a lot of anxiety because she is slightly destructive in the house. We have had her for almost 2 months and it’s seems no amount of petting, treats or attention is working to mellow her out.
Im not sure if it would be a good idea to get her a friend right now or if she needs more time to settle in? I’m not sure what her personality was like previously but maybe she is more crabby still from being spayed? I know she was used to other cats in her previous life. If getting another cat is a good idea, any suggestions on boy or girl/ age?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't think getting another cat right now is a good idea. If she doesn't like the other cat, or they don't like her, it will make things a lot worse.

I would suggest that you do not try to get her to come out or to come to you, and don't pet her unless she does come to you and asks for it. She seems traumatized and it's possible that your trying to get her to accept you has only pushed her farther away. Try just ignoring her completely. Only feed and water her, clean the box, and don't speak to her or look at her, but if she comes to you, speak softly and move slowly. She may just need more time to come out of her shell.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Beautiful cat you have there! And unfortunately, most probably terrified. Sorry, but I think that bringing another cat into your home right now may make it worse for her and for you. It's really hard for shelter cats to go from one place to another to another, and they can take a very long time to settle in.

We adopted Kate first. Her foster-dad brought her over, let her out of the carrier, she immediately ran into the bedroom, and we didn't see her for two weeks. She didn't eat, drink, or use the litterbox for two days. I remember thinking... "Great. I adopted a cat and killed her". So when I went to bed that night, I started meowing, and after a while she meowed back. We had quite the conversation! On the third day she started eating when nobody was around, so whenever I was near the bedroom during the day, I talked to her in a soothing voice. Then my partner got involved and we all spent the day meowing at each other. When she finally peeked out of the bedroom door, we didn't make a big deal out of it, even though we were really excited, and waited (and waited and waited!) for her to come to us which she eventually did.

As far as the destruction goes when you're not home, she may be anxious or bored. Cat trees by the windows, especially where there's sun, can occupy them for hours. A few safe toys can be left out to play with, and soft background music may also help to keep her calm. You could have a play-session followed by treats before you leave for work and when you come home. She may not be interested at first, but it you keep offering it to her, she may come around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts