Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know, but look at how MUCH rice products are in it! What do you think? Not to mention that corn is the second in line after rice....

Chicken meal, ground rice, corn gluten meal, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of natural vitamin E), dried beet pulp, natural flavors, rice flour, rice protein concentrate, herring meal, sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of natural vitamin E), dehydrated alfalfa meal, oat fiber, yeast culture, potassium chloride, menhaden fish oil, choline chloride, dried egg product, taurine, dl-methionine, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, inositol, dried bacillus licheniformis fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), chicory extract, cranberry powder, niacin, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, biotin, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), calcium iodate, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid.

What do you think?

Thanks
Abhay

·
Registered
147 Posts
I thought it was a great food at first until I started paying attention to ingredients. I like that it has no by-products but it does have an awful lot of grain. It's also more expensive than the better quality foods I am now purchasing, which are Chicken Soup, Solid Gold, and Wellness. I still use the Nutro Natural wet food pouches though. The ingredients weren't so bad on those, but I'm looking for an alternative that comes in a larger size.

Oops, edited to add that Wellness IS a little more expensive than the Nutro for me too, but Chicken Soup and Solid Gold cost less per pound when I buy in the really large bags.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I'm assuming the ingredient list is from the dry food? I wouldn't say that any dry food was particularly good. But Nutro's wet food is pretty good. This is the ingredient list for Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Senior Chicken & Turkey Chunks in Gravy (it was just the first one I could find on Google):

Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Turkey, Wheat Gluten, Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Herring Meal, Sunflower Oil, Glycine, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Menhaden Fish Oil, DL-Methionine, Sodium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Chicory Extract, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite.

As you can see, the quality of the ingredients went up drastically. I still wouldn't consider Nutro to be the best quality cat food, but for the price and the availability, you can't really beat it. Plus, many of the cats whose parents frequent this forum really prefer a chunky food in gravy and Nutro delivers. It's that wheat gluten that keeps me from feeding it to my own special-needs cat.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I agree that the wet foods are better quality than the dry. Where I live Nutro is cheaper than Wellness and many other quality foods. Is that the ingredients list for Nutro Max or Nutro Natural Choice? I was under the impression that the Nutro Natural Choice had better ingredients.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Queen Of The Nile: That is for Nutro Max.

IME none of the nutro dry foods are all that great. They cost as much if not more then the premium foods. I say skip Nutro and find something else if you can. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those ingredients were for the Nutro Natural Choice Adult Dry Food. The ingredients for the Wet Chicken & Lamb Nutro are pretty good. It does have wheat in a few places though.

Chicken broth, chicken, turkey, chicken liver, mackerel, lamb, lamb liver, ground rice, wheat gluten, whole egg, wheat bran, guar gum and carrageenan, dl-methionine, potassium chloride, sodium ascorbate (source of vitamin C), salt, taurine, garlic powder, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, niacin, vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, potassium iodide.

I like the Natural Balance Ingredients. The 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th are meat. That doesn't include the chicken fat and fish meal.

Chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, duck, lamb meal, potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, vitamin E, and rosemary extract), canola oil, oatmeal, fish meal, brewers yeast, dried skim milk, natural flavor, dried eggs, flaxseed oil, kelp, garlic, dl-methionine, glucosamine hydrochloride, cranberry powder, grapeseed oil, lecithin, parsley flakes, tomato pomace, taurine, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin C supplement, yucca schidigera extract, folic acid, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (a source of vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, ethylene dihydriodide, sodium selenite.

Thanks
Abhay

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
personally.. i am not pleased with the way Tierney does in Nutro Dry.. i am just using up the bag, and them switching to something else, i want to use Wellness, but i can't seem to find it around me. I dont' think Nutro is all it says it is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am also thinking about wellness and I think I will start a search of my neighborhood this weekend. You can find it on the net but for me - I would like to see she eats if before I get a "shipment"...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMH(maker of Wellness) told me that they have a money-back guarantee. If the cat doesn't like it, return the unused portion and the receipt to the store that it was bought at. That store will refund your money.

Abhay

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I just did the same thing.. i couldn't find it around me and didn't want to order offline in case of a dislike...

I ordered a "sample" pakc of a bunch of different foods, and they sent me 2 different packs of wellness in it. and a bunch of other stuff. It was only $5. Not bad... no shipping. worth it to me to not have a $20 bag of food he didn't like. And if he doesn't like you, you have other high quality brands to try! or you can donate them to a shelter like i did.

Good luck!!!

http://www.thecatconnection.com/page/TC ... D/FOD-SMPL

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am gradually switching my overweight kitty from Nutro Senior dry food to Felidae wet food, and my cat loves the new food. I'll probably switch to the Felidae or Wellness dry food when the Nutro is gone. I'm determined to help my buddy shed a few of the 23 lbs. he has!

Lisa :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts