Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're seriously concerned about Bartleby. There has been negative progress on getting him (a 1 year old cat) to accept our new (4 year old cat), Joon. She's much smaller than he is. He is relentlessly torturous to her. He WILL NOT let her even lay somewhere in peace. We can pick him up, scold him, set him down, and the, minute he touches the ground, he jumps on her and bites her so hard you can see him pulling her skin. Even on the face. He becomes almost murderous. Keep in mind, he's so sweet as long as she's put behind the baby gate.

Help. I'm on the verge of taking him to a no-kill shelter. And I love the little guy. But he's literally scaring us.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Do you have a video? If the cats are both silent, it could just be normal play behavior or non harmful domination displays. In a real fight, there is usually some low howling, hissing, or at least an "OUCH" peep. I'd do a search here on proper cat introduction. It is HIS house, the new comer is the invader, so usually is kept separated for some time with limited exposure so they can get used to one another. People often use towels and the like to spread each other's scents, lots of good reading. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,523 Posts
If it comes to that, you really should rehome the newer cat, in all fairness. It was Bartleby's home first. I'm sorry you're going through this, I'm going through the same thing. As bonded as I am with Gigi, I can't rehome one of my other cats and keep her. :patback

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's probably a good idea to keep them separated by the baby gate, as long as they both have enough space. They can smell each other through it and get used to each other that way. Try to be patient a little bit longer and hopefully things will settle down soon.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I agree with Marie. It really was his home first, it isn't fair to re-home him. You probably need to do a full re-introduction with each other. I wouldn't just let them back out together and expect it to get better because it won't.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just because he doesn't like other cats, that does not make him insane. Some cats are just loners, and wish to live in a one-cat household. And it sounds like Bartleby is one of them.

I agree with Marie as well. It would not be fair to Bartleby to be re-homed, when you had him first. It would be hard for a shelter to find him a new home, since he has to be the only cat in the house.

I also have two 7 year olds that have been at each others throats for years now. And trust me when I say, I know the daily stress that it brings when you have 2 cats under one roof that don't get along. So if things don't get better after the re-introduction, I would re-home Joon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest, we don't want to rehome either of them. We love them to pieces. But we wanted 2 cats. We really want them to get along.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's this about "reintroduction"?

We're seriously desperate. Every time we think there's progress, Bartleby does something even crazier or more violent to her. She's literally afraid to come out of the room if we open the baby gate, because he'll usually hide off to the side, to pounce on her and bite her.

We didn't know how hard he'd been biting her until the other day. Lauran pulled him off of her, and his teeth were taking Joon's skin with him. No blood, but it's not DEFINITELY not a playful scrap. He attacks her as if she was some stray cat he met outside.

Which is SO ODD, because when we got B, he had lived in a house, where someone didn't want him. They'd put him out on a Juliette balcony (2nd floor). Finally, they got sick of him, and put him outside with all of his stuff. When I didn't know who's he was (I just thought someone in the apartments moved in with a new outdoor cat), he would play with another neighbor's cat. Plus, the girl that fed him, and was trying to find someone to take him, would let him sleep in her house with her cat. (granted, her cat was bigger than B, AND it was the other cat's house)

I realize my posts sound redundant. But we're just trying so hard to keep both of these cats. We're very soft hearted when it comes to these 2. Bartleby, when Joon's not out, is still a sweet little boy. And Joon is just always a sweet girl. If someone can help, thank you.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would look at this article for instructions on how to do a reintroduction.

Little Big Cat-Introductions

It is for a first time intro, but everything still applies. It helped me out enormously when I got Leo. I even added an intermediate step where I got a fairly large kitty condo for Leo so they could both see and smell each other as I couldn't install a screen door on the bathroom as I rent my place. In any event, I'm not sure who you would put in the "basecamp". Maybe someone who has done a reintroduction can give you advice on whether to put Bartleby or Joon in there.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
At our local cat rescue organization, Animalkind, a cat will get a 'time-out' in a cage (in the same room) for being aggressive.

If two of my cats ever quarreled I would rub them together, along their sides, so they were passively touching. I would say firmly but kindly, "You've got to get along." This worked for me, for some reason.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's funny you say that Greenport, I do that out of frustration. haha. I'll do 2 things, I'll take them, and smoosh them together against their sides. But I also will take Bartleby and hold him so that he can't use his front paws, and put him up to Joon. She USUALLY licks his head, but he'll always try and bite, so she swats.

As for the time out in the cage, we tried that once, but we have a tiny carrier that B barely fits in now. He crouches to be in it. Maybe that's still a good idea. The only thing is, Joon won't go near him to even sniff him when he's in there, haha. She just wants to exist. He doesn't want her to.

And rae, I'm not sure either. We have Joon in our office with the gate. She's got all her necessities in there, except the window in that room kinda sucks. It's some kind of marbled glass. Bartleby gets the run of the apartment. We have a cat "tree" that's got a couple of sleeping surfaces. But it's in the living room. Joon gets a scratching post. And has a little hut that she loves sleeping in.

I'd say that we could switch them, and put Bartleby in the office, but he's such a sissy, he'd cry and bang on the gate all night. She's content in there, sadly. AND, we have a fear that she would pee in the living room on our rug. (pretty sure she was the culprit before we got the gate. she used to get the apt. to herself, and B would be in the bedroom with us at night.)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Oh no - now I'm getting worried about getting my new cat on Saturday - I'm hoping the introduction to Tuffy goes smoothly. But I've been doing alot of reading on how to do it slowly. I hope you get soemthing figured out so your two can live peacefully.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Would it work to send Bartleby to a friend's house/vet/boarding place for a few days/a week? Give the place a good cleaning and let Joon have run of it. Then when he gets back it might be as if he's coming into HER home instead of the other way around and then do the regular intro thing?

Dunno, it sounded logical in my head (which doesn't mean it makes much sense in real life ;) )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think that's possible for us. But that's kinda why I was thinking of putting B in the office instead of Joon. Make it seem like SHE's the cat of the house. But I fear it might make him more weird, if we try and make it seem like he's not #1. haha

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maybe I'm just lucky or I have the magic touch, but I've never had a problem with introducing cats. All my cats have always got along. I wish I knew what my secret is so I could share it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update... no progress. Just tonight, we had Joon on my lap. Bartleby will be fine. Even resting on the table in front of the couch. However, when she gets off the couch, the hunt is on. B chased her to the baby gate and made her scream louder than I've heard before.

We're not getting rid of either one. It'd break both of our hearts just imagining either cat in some glass case at the SPCA. We love both of them. But we want B to stop attacking Joon.

What does anyone think about reversing the roles? Putting Bartleby in the office behind the baby gate and letting Joon finally get to explore the apartment and look out windows? I realize it'd be tough for a bit, with B pounding on the gate at night. But it doesn't feel right leaving her behind bars all day. Is that a bad idea? It's been over a month.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have you tried Feliway (sp?)? I have no experience with it but have seen suggestions on other thread - supposed to help calm the cats?

Or try putting vanilla extract just above their tails so when they sniff each other they smell the same? Again, another trick I read on forum, and we tried that once when we took one cat back from the vet...

We'd been lucky that the 3 cats we got (within 3 months) all got along fine... so I feel for you as I know it was stressful (there was a short period of time when one cat would try to mount the other... problem went away when we got the 3rd cat.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts