Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
pork is usually fine. I know in some parts of the world you need to be careful about trichinosis, so find out if it's prevalent in your area. To be on the safe side freeze your pork for several weeks before feeding. My cat loves pork, it's a large portion of his diet.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I know people (health food nuts like myself) that avoid pork because they say it contains cysts that can cause parasites or some other bad thing. I haven't eaten pork in ages, not even organic.

I *guess* it may be OK for cats, I don't know. I'm getting my cats onto this Frankenprey thing too.

·
Banned
50 Posts
PS - I've also heard people say that pigs sometimes eat their own feces, and that pork is toxic, even organic pork. I tend to think I'll pass on feeding my cats pork.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Again, pork is perfectly safe. Trichinosis (the "parasite" referred to above) was eradicated from North American pork years ago. Unless you live in a 3rd world country, there is no reason to worry about pork. Even wild boar is perfectly safe if frozen 30 days (to kill parasites).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm glad to hear that pork is safe. I bought some pork kidneys for Boo today (only type of kidneys I can find). Hope she likes it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm sorry but that video is a spoof and has been proven false.

Also, pigs are omnivores just like us, so they will eat what we do if given the chance.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think I've said this before but I find no reason to not feed pork. Besides, a bit of extra fat helps with any hairballs they have :wink:

If you have a farm that is so pathetically unclean that you have pigs eating each other you ain't gonna stay in business to long.

Intensive piggeries control temperature through ventilation or drip water systems (dropping water to cool the system).

Pigs are naturally omnivorous and are generally fed a combination of grains and protein sources. Larger intensive pig farms may be surrounded by farmland where feed-grain crops are grown. Obviously, piggeries are reliant on the grains industry. Pig feed may be bought packaged, in bulk or mixed on-site. The intensive piggery system, where pigs are confined in individual stalls, allows each pig to be allotted a portion of feed. The individual feeding system also facilitates individual medication of pigs through feed. This has more significance to intensive farming methods, as the close proximity to other animals enables diseases to spread more rapidly. To prevent disease spreading and encourage growth, drug programs such as antibiotics, vitamins, hormones and other supplements are administered preemptively.

Indoor systems, especially stalls and pens (i.e., ‘dry,’ not straw-lined systems) allow for the easy collection of waste. In an indoor intensive pig farm, manure can be managed through a lagoon system or other waste-management system. However, waste smell remains a problem which is difficult to manage.[2]

·
Banned
50 Posts
I'll wish you the best with commercial pork fed cats and/or humans. To each his own but I wouldn't bring commercial pork into my house for any man or beast. It's probably better than kibble or canned cat foods, but in my book it's unfit for human and possibly feline consumption, especially when there are many other, better sources of meat for cats.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
The notion that beef or chicken is somehow "cleaner" than pork suggests a real disconnect with what the meat processing industry is like. It's not a clean business. Fortunately, however, dogs and cats evolved to have bacteria in mouths and GI tracts that are more than capable of dealing with most bugs out there.

More on this here:

http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html

http://rawfed.com/myths/parasites.html

·
Banned
50 Posts
You may have a good point there.

I'm a big meater - have been for many years. Vegetarians really shoot down pork and all meats, and if I was going to take info on pork, I'd take it from meat eaters, not vegans. :) Meat eaters tend to have a more unbiased opinion of pork.

But that still leaves the toxic fats issue with pork. I'd say lean pork only for cats, if any. Organic pork isn't too readily available, I don't think. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Slaughterhouses are not clean places. If you don't want to eat pork because you think it's unclean then you might as well discontinue eating other meats as well. There's so many documentaries, films, books and websites I can list that talk about the horrors of factory farming and what goes into the processing. Food Lion was sued a few years ago because they were bleaching their meat. You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. But if you're OK with all that then you might as well eat cooked pork because it is perfectly safe to consume (for you and your cats). Esp. for you since you'd obviously be cooking it and that kills all the bacteria. Most meat sold in USA in grocery stores, if cooked properly is fit for human consumption, otherwise it wouldn't be on the market.

Trichinosis and salmonella in pork are eliminated below the recommended cooked temperature of 165 for pork, so just like poultry, pork will not have salmonella issues when properly cooked. So if you think pork is unclean then might as well avoid all meats because if I started to tell you what goes on during the processing of any meat then you'd slam me for trying to turn you vegan and I'm not doing that.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
3TabbyCats said:
You may have a good point there.

I'm a big meater - have been for many years. Vegetarians really shoot down pork and all meats, and if I was going to take info on pork, I'd take it from meat eaters, not vegans. :) Meat eaters tend to have a more unbiased opinion of pork.
Well, I'm a vegan, and I feed my animals pork. Don't see what that has to do w/ it. I am human, so I don't need to eat meat. Cats are carnivores and do. <shrug>

And there's nothing more "toxic" about pig fat than any other animal's fat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts