Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I've never done anything with raw but I noticed on another thread that it was suggested to give cats a chicken wing tip as a snack which sounds like a great idea. My concern is, if they start having a raw snack, is it possible that they will stop eating their normal food?
I tend to be out of town on weekends as my boyfriend lives in another state so it's not really in the cards right now to consistently feed my cats raw though I'd like to in the future. Right now they get a mix of kibble and canned food twice a day and a little bit of kibble before bed so they stop waking mommy up at four in the morning (which has been effective so far). I'd like to swap the kibble at night with the chicken tip but I have concerns that they'll turn up their noses at their other food after awhile. For example, I purchased some of the Nature's Variety Instinct cans as they had some different flavors from the BG I had been feeding them not realizing that I got them on sale for an awesome price. Now it's like a dollar or something more expensive and they won't eat the BG kind at all, even the fish flavor that I used this weekend (last resort, I need to go to the store today)
If anyone can give me some insight, it would be much appreciated. If you do think it's a good idea, please let me know how much of a chicken wing is considered a wing tip.
Thanks!

· Registered
714 Posts
My guy eats two canned food meals a day and one raw, and he hasn't become addicted. The only thing he was ever addicted to was the kibble that he came with. I rotate his canned food brands, and with such variety, its much less likely that they get addicted to one flavor or texture. He gets 5 or 6 different varieties of grain-free canned food(no fish) rotated on a daily basis, and one raw meal.

Also, make sure that you get rid of the kibble a few days before you give them any raw. One reason cats do not get sick from bacteria when eating raw is because of how quickly they digest it. Dry food is loaded with carbs, which takes much longer for cats to digest. The dry food causes a back-up in their digestive tract and can cause problems if they are fed raw on top of that.

· Registered
714 Posts
And yes, I think it would be a great idea :) a raw snack would be much healthier than kibble. I am not sure exactly what the wing tip is...I guess the very last part of the wing that usually gets thrown out? You could also chop up a cornish hen, quail, or just give chunks of chicken meat. The bones of cornish hen or quail are smaller than chicken bones and would be good for a beginner.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh i didn't know that about the bacteria with kibble. That's good to know.
Thank you for your advice : )

P.S. the kitty in your avatar is adorable. i love kitties with white toes. My Sammy has just the tips of his toes with white and looks like he's tiptoe-ing everywhere

· Registered
10 Posts
My cats eat pretty much only raw. I keep a few cans in the closet for when I forget to thaw some the night before, and they love it when they get the occasional canned food. I also keep some high-protein dry food around for when I go away for a couple of days or so. They have no problem with that either, except that they drink a LOT more water when eating dry food, and their poop stinks a whole lot more.

· Registered
435 Posts
I think it's fine to give them a raw wing as a treat. I would alternate with a small chunk of raw meat (no bone) because too much bone can cause constipation.
And definitely get rid of the kibble.
You could also buy freeze-dried meat and give them that as a treat. Stella & Chewy's Carnivore Crunch Freeze Dried Chicken is a good brand. Note that sometimes some of freeze dried treats are marketed more to dogs than cats, but since it's 100% meat, I don't have a problem giving it to Ritz. Avoid fish. (I do have a problem giving Ritz commercial raw "for dogs and cats" but that's another issue/forum.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.