Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting our cats on a raw diet, but hubby is worried that it will be more costly than the premium wet food we are already purchasing. I know that it is definetly more work, but I feel that for our picky eaters it may be the best option. If you dont mind my asking, what would your guesstimates be on going raw with 2 cats?

·
Registered
751 Posts
It is much much cheaper actually to be feeding raw!

Feeding premium wet will cost $1.29-$1.80 a day per cat...at least here.

I feed 3-4 lbs of meat a day for my 18 raw fed cats. So lets say that it costs $8 a day to feed them - which is an overestimate. It still is only $0.44 a day per cat!

However it will be more if you want to feed only organic/free range meat. I do use "free range" chicken necks ($0.99 a lb here). Rajah gets organic/free range lamb heart and sometimes I will get lamb liver or kidney which also is organic/free range. Else it is all normal meat from the supermarket :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats great to hear! He is worried about the amount of work but I know that it is just a matter of getting started. I will peruse through the raw food forums to get some ideas. I really have no idea where to start so any help would be much appreciated!

·
Banned
952 Posts
The actual difference depends on the prices where you live and how good you are about shopping for savings.

For me, there is a HUGE cost savings; here are two examples:

1) I just recently ordered 50 pounds of food from Hare-Today. The total cost was $160.98. Divide that by 50 for a price per pound of $3.22 and, even paying shipping, I come out way ahead of the costs for 50 pounds of cat food, which is $240 at an average of $1.65 per can, fully $80 more.

2) Feeding canned to my two foster cats for eleven days cost me $36.27 about two weeks ago. That same amount will feed three times as many cats on raw for eight days.

Look at it from another perspective: For $36.44, I can feed my six cats raw for eight days or, for almost exactly twice that - $72.54 - I can feed them canned for those same eight days.

- - - -

People tell me all the time that they can't afford to feed raw; I tell 'em I can't afford to feed commercial! http://www.**********.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

- - - -

The sticky thread http://www.catforum.com/forum/62-raw-food-diet/122080-natural-diet-information-resources.html might be helpful to you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Raw is cheaper. I HAD to learn how to prepare a raw diet and switch over because I could not afford to feed premium wet food anymore. Over here, I can get almost 2 lb's worth of food for like 2 dollars. 2 lb's last both of my cats like 4 days. Wayyyy cheaper than spending 3 dollars a day for canned food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts